A New Friend

Chapter 15

(A New Friend)

Callista stood looking at herself in a full length mirror. In only a few minutes she would leave her room and be presented to the Unseelie court. She was once again feeling nervous but she felt ready.

It had taken her a long time to find a dress for her father’s ball but she’d finally found one. She’d chosen a dress that was emerald green. It was strapless like her blue dress but that was the only real similarity. The top of the dress was adorned with crystals in a two inch band. The bottom of the dress also had crystals sporadically placed making it have the appearance of diamonds. Her hair had been pulled up into a French twist adorned with an emerald comb.

Hearing a knock she turned to face the door. “Come in,” She called. The door opened and she watched as her father entered her room. She gave a very graceful bow as he approached.

Soren looked at his daughter with pride. He had no doubt she would capture the attention of the men at the ball. It was even quite possible he would receive offers for her hand. He would be polite but not accept any. The Goblin King was still his first choice for his daughter.

“I have something I want you to wear tonight,” The king announced. “Well two things.” Callista watched as her father brought out a ring. He picked up her right hand and slipped it on her ring finger. “Now you will be safe.”

“Safe?” The teenage girl asked.

“Yes. The ring will protect you from any charms. Anything that could bind you to someone.”

“I don’t understand,” Callista replied.

“There are spells that can be put on things to bind a person to who the item was given from. If someone were to put say a necklace on you in hopes of making you theirs they would be unable to.” Holding her hand with the ring ha said, “So long as you wear this ring you are protected.”

“But if I take it off I’m at their mercy,” The girl summarized.

“You can’t remove it,” Soren informed the girl. “Only I can remove the ring from your hand. This is for your protection.” Callista wasn’t sure about how she felt about it being placed on her before she was told what it meant but nodded. She did believe he only wanted to keep her from harm.

“This is the second item.” Callista watched as a box was sat on the table. Soren opened the box and lifted a diamond and emerald tiara out. “This is simply your tiara. Nothing more,” The dark king said and placed it on her head.

“I would’ve worn the ring if you’d told me,” Callista told her father.

Gently the king touched his daughter’s right cheek. “You are very brave and do not always think little things should matter. I know the men of this court. I will not take a chance where you are concerned.” Callista nodded and looked down.

The king felt an ache in his heart seeing her disappointment. He knew then he should have given her a chance and told her first. “Next time I will tell you.” The teenage girl looked up at him. “But if you refuse..”

“I will obey you,” The girl assured him. He simply nodded.

“I have to go. I will see you down stairs in a little while.” Callista nodded and watched as her father walked to her door. He stopped and looked back at her, “You do look beautiful Callista.”

“Thank you,” Callista said giving her father a warm smile. The king nodded and then left the room. Callista looked down at the ring on her finger. It was a moment before she realized it was the same type of dark stone that she had caught at the first ball. It was a stone that was somehow connected to her dark elf family. She suddenly felt special. Her father cared enough to think of even the smallest way of protecting her.