You are Betrothed

Chapter 24

(You are Betrothed)

“Did I do something wrong? I just wanted to protect Amara,” Callista said concerned she was in trouble.

“No daughter you did the right thing,” The King of the Dark Elves assured his daughter. “Come we need to speak.” Callista didn’t argue and walked back over to the now empty stands. “Have a seat,” He said and sat down himself. Callista obeyed without question.

“First I want you to know I am not trying to get rid of you,” Soren began. “This is also not something that will happen right away.” The blonde girl looked at him wearily feeling very uneasy at his words. “I have received offers for your hand.”

“My hand?” Callista said confused. “I’m kind of attached to it if you don’t… Oh you mean marriage don’t you?” She said realizing.

“Yes,” He acknowledged. “Moryn and Amara will be announced as betrothed at dinner tonight. Your betrothal will also be announced.”

Callista looked down at the ground. She knew there was no way out of this betrothal. The King of Dark Elves was her father and had every right to give her to any man he wished. “Do I know him?” She asked quietly.

“Yes,” Soren assured her. Callista looked up at him. “Tonight you will be betrothed to King Aidan.”

“The Goblin King?” Callista said almost hopeful.

Soren hadn’t missed the hope but didn’t address it. “Yes. I had considered Aidan before but I wanted to see how you two acted toward each other first. I believe it will be a good match. As I said you will court for a time first.”

“Well I like his Labyrinth,” Callista commented. Soren regarded his daughter with interest. “I don’t know King Aidan very well but he’s been nothing but kind toward me. I won’t fight this father. He might be disappointed in me but I’ll marry him if that is your wish.”

“Why would you disappoint him?” The Dark Elf King asked gently.

“He’s lived his life as a playboy,” Callista replied. “I’m a good girl.” She glanced away and then looking back at him said, “I’ve never even kissed a guy.”

Soren looked at his daughter with both sympathy and amusement. “I don’t think he’ll mind waiting until you’re wed for most things. I’m sure you can compromise and allow him to at least kiss you?”

“I’ll try not to slug him,” She said. Seeing her father’s raised eyebrow, Callista added, “Three guys have tried. Two got broken noses and one got punched in the chest and kneed in the groin, really hard. Not sure if he’ll be having kids.”

“Those boys didn’t have the right to kiss you, Aidan does,” The Dark King replied his voice full of authority. Callista simply nodded. “Go and rest from your fights. You did well.” Callista kissed her father’s cheek and then headed back to the castle.

Soren was pleased his daughter had taken the news so well. He knew how upset she’d been about Leoden. Callista had even seemed relieved when he’d told her she would marry the Goblin King. Everything was going according to his plan. The Goblin Kingdom, Dragon Kingdom, and his own would be tightly united when war came. Pleased, he left the stands.

Aidan finished his lunch just as he heard a knock on the door. “Enter,” he called. The door opened and he watched as Hunter entered the room. His other guards followed him in with Chale closing the door himself. “I trust you have news for me?” He said as the four guards bowed.

“The princess is now aware of the betrothal,” Hunter said sounding almost proud.

“How did she take the news?” Aidan asked sitting back in the chair and giving the guard his full attention.

“At first she was understandably uneasy,” Hunter began. “She relaxed after he told her it was you she was betrothed to. In fact she sounded relieved.”

“She wasn’t upset at all?” The Goblin King asked to verify.

“I think she was afraid it would be to someone like Frazzier,” Hunter replied. “She made the comment that she does like your Labyrinth.” Aidan smirked at that piece of news. He wasn’t surprised at all.

“Did she say how she felt about our king?” Chale inquired.

“Only that she didn’t really know him but that he had treated her kind.” Looking at the Goblin King he added, “Callista said she will not fight the betrothal. She will marry you.”

“She can’t fight it,” Victor said.

“Of course she could,” Aidan retorted. “She wouldn’t win but she could certainly make things as difficult as possible.”

“One more thing you might want to know.” Aidan looked at Hunter once again. “It seems your bride has never been kissed.” All four men’s mouths dropped open. “She apparently assaulted the only three that have ever tried.”

“She’s even more innocent than you guessed,” Chale remarked watching his sovereign’s reaction.

“Her highness is however a little concerned that you’ll be upset that she is a ‘good girl’ and not like other’s you’ve spent time with,” Hunter said carefully. “Soren told her you could handle kissing her until you are wed.”

Aidan didn’t hide his disappointment. “If that is what she wants I suppose I shall have to oblige her,” He sighed.

“She’s never been kissed majesty,” Blake reminded the king. “She may change her mind once you’ve kissed her.”

“Yes, but I have a funny feeling Soren will slip her staying pure until we are wed into the contract,” The Goblin King said sounding annoyed. Hearing a knock Chale went to the door and answered it. He walked back and handed his king an envelope.

“The contract,” He said opening it. The king looked the document over and at one point chuckled. “He’s going to make me wait for Callista. Or at least I have to leave her virtue intact until after the wedding.” He shook his head before picking up a pen and signing the contract where needed. “Well I’m not waiting longer than needed and I will wear her ass out the night of our wedding for making me wait.” He dropped the pen and handed the contract to Chale. “Hand deliver it now.” Chale accepted it and with a bow left the room.

“Leave me I need to prepare.” The guards bowed and left their king. Once they were gone he looked at his copy of the contract. “Get a lot of sleep before the wedding, my bride, because you won’t get much sleep the night we are wed.” He raised a glass of wine up to the air and silently toasted what would be his prize once they were wed.