Acceptance gained

Chapter 29

(Acceptance gained)

Callista walked through the gardens with her head held high. There was no way she was going to hide in her room and let other’s make the assumption she was weak. No, that wasn’t her style. The tomboy faced obstacles head on, she didn’t run.

Her guards had been reluctant at first but had caved to her request. Being Fae they did understand how important her handling of the situation was. However they did refuse to let her go out to the lake. The teenager had openly disagreed with them but had finally conceded to their wishes. It was the relationship she had with her guards. Each bending here and there.

“Callista.” The blonde girl stopped by a small pond and looked back to see her brother Vardan walking towards her. She didn’t show it but inwardly the girl braced. The new princess wasn’t dumb and knew she was not on the youngest of her brother’s favorite list.

“The Captains’ tournament is coming up. We need to know if you will be allowing Cavin to participate.”

“I didn’t realize there was one.” Turning she looked to see Cavin watching her brother warily. Internally the girl smiled. There really wasn’t anyone he wouldn’t protect her from. She waived him over and the guards immediately came to her side.

“Highness,” Her captain said.

“Vardan has just informed me there is a Captain’s tournament. Would you like to participate?” The blonde inquired.

“You’re asking me?” Callista smiled. “Of course you are,” He said feeling foolish he’d even made the comment. He chuckled at her smirk. “It has been a while since I competed but I do not think it…”

“Sign Cavin up,” The teenager said ignoring the rest of her captains words.

“Someone tried to kill you.”

The girl looked at her captain and said, “Yeah, and I’m standing here thanks to you. I am not about to let any of those idiots that want to try and kill me control my life. Nor will they yours. You are competing and that’s final.”

Cavin sighed knowing there was no use in arguing. She had a point to prove. “Braiden stays at your side even in the stands and Will and Greer stay close.”

“Acceptable.” Cavin chuckled as the girl swayed back in fourth reminding him of a child. Of course to him she was a child. The fae captain might not look it but he was over 200 years old.

With a bow of his head he returned to the other guards allowing the princess and her brother privacy. Normally he wouldn’t have simply stayed at her side but he’d noticed a sudden change in the way the Dark Elf Prince looked at the young woman. Cavin stepped back to allow the prince a moment with his sister.

“Thanks for letting me know,” Callista told her brother.