Saving Aden (14): The One That Got Away

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Why hello there again! It's been quite awhile. Too long actually. Like...a month. I'm really sorry for the wait y'all have had to go through in order to read more chapters, I know how annoying that can get. But don't worry! If all goes well, the entire book will be done by November 29th! (since that's the deadline for the Watty Awards)

Until then, please make sure to VOTE/COMMENT/LIKE/GOOGLE+ the chapters you haven't yet/the chapters you think deserve that stuff! I've been going through a lot of personal shit lately, but I'm glad that this story is QUALIFIED FOR ROUND TWO OF THE WATTY AWARDS and for all of the SUPPORT this story has gotten. It means the world to me. (':

OH YEAH. I think chapter thirteen and twelve have pictures of Arianna and Gage. I haven't quite found the right one for Aden, but I'm still looking. So, if you're interested, check it out. 

Here's chapter fourteen, enjoy.(:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fourteen: The One That Got Away

I made it back to the apartment around the same time the sun began to rise, only to find the living room and kitchen completely empty. Gage was still in the apartment, but he wasn't in either of the rooms he usually occupied. 

"Gage...?" I called out uncertainly, dropping my keys on the kitchen counter.

"In the bedroom, babe," he answered, his voice softer than mine had been.

Relief washed over me, but I couldn't understand why. It wasn't like I had expected to walk in and find Gage dead...or, more dead than he was now.

Carefully, I slipped off my shoes, and headed down the hallway. When I reached the door, Gage opened it, like he'd been watching and waiting for me since I'd entered the apartment. A file was tucked securely under his arm.

"What were you doing locked up in here?" I asked him.

Gage gave me a small smile. "I slept for a little while, called up Dane, and we decided together that we're gonna begin the questioning today." He gestured to the files. "I'm starting to go through the files of employees too, just to see if there's anybody we can count as suspects right off the bat."

"I still think that's going to take too long," I muttered, leaning my up against the door frame.

"Right now it's our only option, Arianna."

I shrugged my shoulders, and was about to head into my room, when Gage stopped me. 

"You'll come by Paradise after you finish at the school today, right?" 

I froze mid-step. "Gage...I don't know. Aden is my first--"

"Marco will watch him," he interjected. "And if not Marco, then someone else. The more people we have questioning, the faster this process will go."

A groan escaped my lips. "Alright," I mumbled, realizing Gage was making a pretty good point, "I'll bring Aden over after school gets out."

Gage dropped his head, pressing his lips to my forehead. "Keep yourselves out of trouble today, ok?"

I rolled my eyes, my skin burning from his touch, and ducked out from under Gage before continuing to my room. 

* *

"How are you so good with artsy things?" a sophomore girl asked Aden. 

She'd been watching him from across the room for almost the entire hour, and had just now decided to approach him.