Saving Aden (5): Fire in Your New Shoes

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Whoaa! Two updates in one day? I think so. Haha that's what happens when this baby gets some love. ;)

Here's the fifth chapter, enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Five: Fire in Your New Shoes

“I need you to work an extra shift tonight,” Mark said to me as he wiped down the bar. I was about to protest, claiming that I had a paper to write, when I heard him add, “I’ll pay you for it, double what you’re making.” How could I possibly say no to that?

But just to make sure I didn’t seem overeager, I pretended to weigh out my options. “I don’t know Mark...it’s really draining sometimes, and I have classes again tomorrow.” 

He inclined his head towards me, and touched my cheek with one of his filthy smelling hands. “C’mon, babe,” he breathed. I felt my stomach churn in response. “You know you’re getting addicted to it, just like the rest of them.”

I raised an eyebrow skeptically, but I knew he was close to the truth. I wasn’t addicted to the pleasure that came with a vampire sinking his teeth into my skin, but the heavy amounts of money they gave in tips, and the money I was paid for allowing them to use my body.

“You’re their favorite,” he continued, giving me a wink. “All the other girls are older, and have more scars from the mean ones. The vamps don’t find it as appealing as your smooth, pale, perfect skin...” I fought the urge to grimace and keep the disgust out of my tone.

I gnawed on my lower lip, sucking it into my mouth thoughtfully. “Alright,” I finally agreed with a forced sigh, “I’ll do it.”

“Good,” he said, slapping his palms down on the bar in excitement. “Go on back and get changed, you’ll be in room seven. Okay?”

I nodded slowly, and then slid down from the bar. 

“Oh, and hun?” I looked back at him from over my shoulder. “Drink this, to keep up your strength.” Mark tossed me a water bottle. “It’s got iron supplements in it, so you won’t get too dizzy from the blood loss.”

I felt a genuine smile pull at the corners of my lips. “Thank you Mark,” I said shyly, holding the bottled water to my chest. It meant a lot that he thought about things like this. 

He beamed back at me, his crooked teeth glittering in the dim, florescent lights. “No problem babe, take care of yourself tonight.”

I laughed quietly. “You too, Mark.” He might’ve been a pretty big creeper at times, and a little handsy even, but he always thought about his girls and took care of us. 

I smiled to myself as I stepped into the changing room, twisting off the top of my water bottle and taking a few greedy gulps. 

Another girl was at the mirror, cleaning her wound. “Hey Arianna,” she greeted me with a lazy grin. We had all felt the way venom, when used correctly, influenced humans, and sometimes it became a person’s drug of choice. It always left the person who’d been bitten high, and brought them to cloud nine. That is, if the vamp wasn’t too rough. 

“Hi MaryAnn.“ I grinned back at her, not wanting to kill her buzz, and stripped down to my undergarments. She looked away to give me my privacy, but honestly I didn’t care about someone watching anymore. I’d just gotten used to having to change in front of people.