Saving Aden (6): Start Again

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey y'all. I know it's been quite a while since I last updated this story, and I apologize to those of you who are actually reading it. I could go on and on about how I've had a busy summer..but it'd all be a lie, haha. I actually just sit around and do nothing all day except play with my dog for like..four seconds every day. There's no excuse as to why I haven't updated Saving Aden sooner. 

ANYWAY. Chapter six and seven are both ready, so I'll be posting both today. 

Here's chapter six.(:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Six: Start Again

Aden actually looked a tiny bit offended. “You found them?” Reaching down, he fiddled nervously with the hem of his T-shirt. 

I nodded slowly, unsure of what I was allowed to say. I didn’t want him mad at me. “Why do you have them?” I asked finally. 

His eyes flashed to mine, their green depths expressing his fear and confusion. “Why do you think I have them, Arianna?” he snapped, his upper lip curling as he did that growl thing again. “I’m depressed.”

A lump grew in my throat. Shit, shit, shit, I chanted inwardly. I’m so stupid.

“Aden, I’m really--” I was cut off by the sound of the front door slamming closed. 

“Aden, honey?” a soft, feminine voice, called out uncertainly. 

With a nearly inaudible hiss, I dropped down from the counter, taking a defensive stance in front of Aden. I can’t believe I let my guard down like that, I scolded myself. 

In the doorway stood a woman with silky blond hair, and the deepest blue eyes I’d ever seen. She was beautiful. Tan skin, lightly freckled cheeks, and a figure even I would die a second time for. 

“Mom? What are you doing home?” 

This woman popped out two kids? Sweet Jesus, I thought, my stance easing up a bit. How the hell does that even happen? 

I felt Aden’s warm palm on my shoulder, and his touch relaxed me further.

“I was about to ask you the same thing,” the woman replied, casually stepping around Aden and I to place her large purse down on the kitchen table. 

“Lunch,” Aden answered curtly. “In fact, we should probably be heading back.” He took me by the elbow, but stopped when his mother glared at him. She might’ve looked like she was barely twenty-five, but she certainly had the “mom look” down. “Aden, you know the rules about having girls in the house.”

Taking that as my cue, I wiggled free from Aden’s grasp and took a few steps in his mother’s direction. “Hi, I’m Arianna,” I said in what I hoped was a cheerful tone. “You must be Mrs. Locke.”

Her lips twitched in amusement. “Call me Amanda,” she corrected politely. 

I forced out a smile. “It’s very nice to meet you, Amanda. I was wondering when we’d finally get to meet. You see, I’m Aden’s G--”

Aden cut me off sharply. “Girlfriend.”

“What?” Amanda and I asked in unison. I was confused, but Amanda seemed disgusted. 

“Yeah babe, I thought it was time we told her.” The words left his mouth almost too easily. 

I whirled around, planning on chewing the damn human boy out, when I saw his expression. His deep green-blue eyes locked with mine; fear written clearly on his face.