Chapter Twenty Two

Cosette’s POV

I knock softly on Carter’s door, and I let out a shaky breath. I don’t know how to talk to him without getting him mad, but we haven’t talked in a week, and I feel…rejected. A piece of my heart feels like it fell of as I think about that eight-letter word and what it entails. But that can’t happen to Carter and I right? It happened to Georgia and Jake though, but we aren’t them, that won’t happen.

Slowly I open the door, and Carter is hunched over in his desk. His hair is disheveled and his shirt is wrinkled and has multiple stains on it. His dull green eyes look up at me, and he just looks so tired, “Can I help you?” His voice sounds jagged and hoarse as he says those words with little to no emotion.

I close the door behind me, and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest, “Carter, is everything alright?”

“Everything is fine, and I would appreciate it if you would leave.”

My throat swells, it’s happening, he is going to reject me, but I am not going down without a fight. “Cut the bullshit Carter and tell me what’s wrong!”

Carter growls slightly, “You know what is wrong Cosette! I have told you a thousand times what is wrong! We are in a war, and I am trying to protect you! I need to find a way to keep you safe!”

“While you are trying to keep me safe, I feel like you don’t care about me! I feel rejected!”

Carter growls loudly, and he tips his desk over on it’s side, “How could you say that?”

Tears flow down my cheeks, and I whisper, “I am leaving Carter. Don’t follow me.”

I open the door, but his large hand slams it shut, and he whimpers, “Don’t leave.”

I hold in a sob, and my stomach starts to churn. “We don’t spend any time together, and I can’t spend the rest of my life like this. I can’t be suspended in this limbo of having you but not getting to be with you. It’s killing me. Two days Carter, that’s all I ask. Wait two days, then come to me, but only if you are ready to be with me as a true mate.”

---

My heart is in pieces as I walk through the woods sobbing. Carter’s broken face is burned into my mind, and the sound of his sobs replays over and over. All I want to do is run back to him, wipe the tears off his handsome face, and I want to tell him I’m sorry. But I know if I do that he will just go back to his old ways and he won’t even think twice about today. I choke on a sob as I think about what would happen if Carter doesn’t come looking for me. I know it would be easy for him to find me, but would he really want to?

The fall leaves crunch loudly under my feet, and I can feel the oncoming chill of winter biting my skin. Will I get to spend Christmas with Carter? I can’t imagine my future without him, which is why if he doesn’t come for me, my life will be over.

A crunching noise pulls me out my thoughts and I instantly start cursing the ground I walk on. This is not happening. A figure comes out from a tree in front of me, and as quickly as possible I turn on my heels, and make a mad dash back towards the pack territory. I know I am not going to make it but at least running will buy me time. Time to send out one message to Carter, “Find me.”

A hand grabs my arm, and my head slams into the dirt. “Boss is going to be happy I found you.”

A tiny whimper escapes my throat, and he kicks me, “Get up, we have to leave quickly.”

I keep my eyes closed, and I show no signs of getting up. I am not going to make it easy for him to take me, and he knows it. He grabs me by the hair, and yanks my head up. A burning feeling erupts across my scalp, and I let out a loud shriek. “STUPID BITCH! SHUT UP!”

A soft whimper escapes my lips as he drops my head in the dirt. I feel myself breathing in dirt, and I don’t dare move. The man roughly rolls me over, and I feel a horrifying pain in my chest, and I can’t breathe. My eyes fly open, and I crazily thrash around in the leaves. My hands rip at his leg, trying to get his foot to come off his chest. My brain is in too much of a panic to focus and do magic, and I am not strong enough to stop this man from suffocating me. So I relax, and I try to block out the burning feelings in my lungs.

Authors note: Sorry it took so long to update, I don’t have wifi at my house so getting this up was a doozy… love you guuys (:

oh and by the way I am really unhappy with the quality of this chapter so I am really sorry about that too