Chapter Nineteen

Carter's POV

Cosette's small frame is curled up next to me in our bed. She has woken up a few times, and her blue eyes stare into mine, searching for something. A small smile will light up her face slightly, and she will fall back asleep. Holding her in my arms calm me down while I think about the urgent matter at hand. 

Cosette is in a lot of danger. My pack is in a lot of danger. By now, that prick's pack knows he has gone missing, and are going to start looking for him. I have no intention of moving his rotting body out of my territory because it would be utterly pointless, traces of his scent would still linger here. No point in hiding the fact that I killed him. I'm sure his whole pack knows about Cosette being a witch, and even if they don't they are still going to be livid that I murdered someone in their pack. They could even band with Greg's pack, which would only make this harder. War is unavoidable now. It is me against two packs, and that number can only grow from here. 

I could always ask for assistance from a neighboring pack, but I am not one to ask for help. Perhaps I could only ask for assistance from packs that owe us. Yes, that seems more reasonable. If I were in a different situation I would move Cosette to a pack I trust, but I know that there is no safer place for her other than here. 

Even with all of this going on, my wolf is urging me to take her. I want to feel her soft skin under my hands, and I want to hear her sweet voice moaning my name. My chest begins to rumble at these pleasurable thoughts, but I quickly cast them away. I glance down at her innocent sleeping figure, and I begin to run my fingers through her soft brown locks. She is just so perfect, and I want to be everything she needs, but I know that I am not good enough for her. My temper is uncontrollable. She distracts me from doing my job, which angers me. Cosette makes me weak, and that is the one thing an Alpha just cannot be. 

Mates are a blessing, and a curse. Before I met Cosette I was strong, unstopable, but there was a hole that needed to be filled, I always had this eery feeling that something was off. As soon as I laid my eyes on her I needed her. I wanted to see what color her eyes were, hear her voice, know her name, I wanted to be her everything. She tears down my walls, leaving me weak and exposed. She completes me and without her I am nothing. With her I am everything. 

Her eyes flutter open, and my heart skips a beat. Her gorgeous glittering blue eyes gleam up at me, and I smile slightly at her. Her lips part slightly, and her tired voice whispers, "Hello."

I lean down, and lightly press my lips to her small nose, "Hello."

Her soft hands graze lightly down my arm, and her fingers intertwine with mine. Electric shocks course up and down my arms from this simple contact, making me want her. This girl is killing me. I clear my throat lightly, "How are you?"

"My head hurts a little."

I immediatly stop running my fingers through her hair, not wanting to aggervate her head. She whimpers, "No, don't stop."