Chapter Thirteen

A soft knock enters my dreamland, and of course the most rational thing to do is to ignore it. So, I curl in closer to Carter and he chuckles, "Honey, I think you need to get up."

Before I can refuse the door swings open, and Mike is standing there, letting traitorous light seep into the previously dark room. I hiss, and shield my face from the burning light. Carter whispers groggily in my ear, "You have to read to the kids at 3:30 and...it's 3 o'clock right now."

That has me standing on my feet immediatly, and I slam my pillow down on Carter's face, "Why do you always do this?"

Mike awkwardly clears his throat, and murmurs, "I'll be downstairs."

I scowl at Carter, but he just laughs, "You don't get it do you? I have two dresses, and two pairs of jeans. I needed to go shopping and you know, MAYBE BUY SOME CLOTHES TO WEAR?"

I angrily snatch up a pair of dirty jeans, and start raiding Carter's drawers, "So now I have to wear dirty pants, and one of your shirts! I am going to look so stupid!"

Carter sits up, and he looks so adorable with his hair all messed up and eyes shiny with tears from laughing so hard. No Cosette, stay strong, stay angry, hold your ground damnit! He smiles, "You are reading to kids, it doesn't matter."

As I storm off to the adjoined bathroom I yell, "IT MATTERS TO ME!"

I slam the door shut, and as quickly as possible I yank on my skinny jeans and at the same time I go pee. (Which resulted in some minor problems.) I button up the red plaid shirt I stole from Carter, and run my fingers through my hair. Before exiting the bathroom I slide on some mascara, and grap my tooth brush. While dashing down the stairs I brush my teeth, each step gets splattered with toothpaste that falls from my mouth. 

Once I reach the bottom step I almost run smack into Georgia. Quickly she snatches my leg, and forces a pair of toms on. These must be hers, because thanks to Carter, I have nothing decent to wear! Mike is standing anxiously in the kitchen, "We are going to be late."

I groan, and throw my toothpaste in the kitchen sink, spit in the key bowl that's next to the front door, and follow Mike out.

---

Reading to the kids went by much more smoothly than my morning. I lean my head against the car window, and sigh. "Thanks Mike."

He frowns, "For what?"

I shrug, "I don't know, I just thought you deserved a thanks."