Chapter 21: Tragic.

It was the middle of spring break and Kayla stood over the bridge along with Devon conversing and laughing. They were carrying on a fun conversation until Kayla got a phone call from Uncle Lenny.

"Hello?" Kayla answered in happy tone

"Kay. I have something to tell you." Uncle Lenny said nervously.

"What's going on Uncle Lenny?" Kayla's face fell as she spoke.

"Asia took Kelsiee to your father's house...." Kayla cut Uncle Lenny off.

"You let her take my daughter to that despicable man house?" Kayla's voice thundered.

"Listen, I didnt know that you and Asia weren't getting along until she told me. But your father beat her up brutally." Uncle Lenny cried over the phone.

"Oh my God. Is my baby okay?" Kayla teared up.

"Yeah she's in the hospital. Your father's back in jail." Uncle Lenny looked down.

"Listen, unc I want her with me." Kayla cried harder. "I want you guys to pack her stuff and send her to me after she gets out of the hospital."

"Kay, no it's fine...I.." Kayla cut Uncle Lenny off.

"No. I want her with me. I want my baby to be with me every second." Kayla shook her head. "Send me a picture of how she look."

"Okay."

"I'll talk to you later unc." Kayla ended the call.

Kayla looked around becoming saddened as she thought about Kelsiee. She just wished she could pop up beside her. All of this happening shocked Kayla because she never thought she would get a call about Kelsiee being in the hospital. Devon stood beside her watching the tears rushing down her big brown eyes. He didn't know what was going on, but he knew it had something to do with Kelsiee. He pulled her close not saying a word, but comforting Kayla a little.

"My father is...so cruel." Kayla cried more. "He hurt my daughter so much she's in the hospital. Why? Why would Asia take her to him when she knows that my father doesn't like me?"

"Your father and sister are just sick." Devon shook his head.

"I told you. I need to go to California now." Kayla wiped her tears and sniffed.

"Maybe we should check and see when's the next flight?" Devon looked at his phone.

"Right. Could you check that for me?" Kayla asked as she revealed the text message from Uncle Lenny.

"Sure."

As Kayla took a look at Kelsiee's bruised face, she began to break down and shake her head continuously. Kelsiee's face was bruised with purple blueish eyes, busted lip, and her nose looked like it had bled. Devon took a glance at the picture and became appalled. Who would do such a thing to a child?

"Kay. The next flight to California is at 9:30 in the morning." Devon said slowly as he looked down.

"Okay. I need to go home and pack." Kayla said in a sad tone as she continued to cry.

"Alright. Come on." Devon guided Kayla to the car.

Kayla and Devon walked to his car which was 10 minutes away from the bridge. As they both were seated in the car, Kayla began to look at the window and think. If anything ever happened to Kelsiee, she would lose it. She was the only one that kept Kayla from doing things to harm herself and kept her straight. 30 minutes later, she arrived home. It was so empty and quiet because Dominique left earlier to visit Julissa in Georgia. Kayla headed to her room and quickly began packing her things. As she packed, she stumbled over the custom pink Teddy bear she got Kelsiee for Christmas.