Ignitable - Chapter Fourteen

Sophia...

I know, I know...I shouldn't have antagonised Cade's mother. But I couldn't help it. She had looked at me like I was shit on the sole of her designer shoes, it annoyed the hell out of me. I'd just had an amazing orgasm with her very sexy son, so I felt overly cocky when I saw her just outside of Cade's office.

So, I reacted.

Right or wrong, I reacted.

I reacted because everything I now know about her, made it hard for me to not react to her.

From everything that Cade has told me about his mother, she seems incapable of being proud of him, and even more incapable of being happy for him when things are going right in his life. I'd even go as far to say that she's now incapable of anything to do with Cade.

For reasons only known to herself, she thinks that to hand an affluent lifestyle to him on a plate, is enough. That bestowing wealth and status, means that she has fulfilled her role as his mother.

But she hasn't fulfilled anything. She has been nothing but remote and spiteful throughout his whole life. Her cold and cruel treatment of him, really does get to me. The more I am feeling for Cade, the more protective I am feeling towards him. Which is why I gave her that smug and condescending smirk. Margaret Lapley deserved it, and she deserves so many more smug and condescending smirks. I know it's not my fight to take up with her, but I can't help the deep dislike I now feel growing inside of me.

She treated Cade awfully. I can't forget all the things that he has told me. I'll never be able to erase his painful memories from my mind. The calculated and controlling ways that she had used, in order to hurt him when he was just a child, are too callous to ever forget. Cade was an unloved and unwanted little boy. Neglected and mistreated, but his mother kept it hidden behind all of her fortune and prominence.

That, makes me angry.

That, makes her actions unforgivable.

But I'm here now. I am now a part of Cade's life, whether his twisted and rich mother likes it or not.

I think I piss her off.

She certainly pisses me off.

On that, we are exactly on the same page.

"Right, are you sure you don't want me to stick around a little longer?" Mum asks, lifting her coat and handbag off the hook with her brows thoughtfully pulled.

"I'm good, Mum...you get yourself home." Smiling in her very sweet and thoughtful direction, I am busily removing all the perished plants and sorting the flowers and foliage that shall go into the Bargain Bouquet Bucket for tomorrow. Lifting out a bunch of purple Alstroemerias, I hand them to my lovely mum. "Take these home with you, too."

Happily taking them, she smiles. "Will your father and I see you later for tea?" Grinning back at me, she knows full well that she won't be seeing me later for tea.

"Cade is celebrating tonight. He won a big fraud case today, so he's cooking us both a nice meal." I excitedly tell mum.

With her smile now spanning her face, she winks in my direction. "Okay, have fun, darling." Then she moves in for a motherly hug. "You're both still coming on Saturday, right?"

I gasp, remembering that I had completely forgotten to tell mum that Cade has now asked me to join him for a posh dinner in Bath this Saturday. I kind of felt bad when he had asked me, because I already knew that mum and dad wanted him to come for dinner at theirs, but was too excited about being invited to Bath, to tell him about it. I just figured he could come for dinner another time with my parents. And with my head permanently in happy Cade clouds, I seem to have now forgotten to tell my dear mum all about my exciting change of weekend plans. Bloody hell! I curse silently at myself before profusely apologising. "Oh Mum! I'm so sorry! I forgot to ask Cade, and now he's asked to take me out in Bath this Saturday." I am feeling guiltier by the second. Mum has been helping me so much in the shop, especially with Hannah about to go on maternity leave and with Christmas not far around the corner. "What about the following Saturday, instead?" I cheerily offer her a sweetly coated compromise.