Ignitable - Chapter Twenty

Sophia...

Something is wrong.

I don't know what it is, but something is wrong.

That wrongness was sat in Cade's morose green eyes. Even when he had smiled at me, I could see the overwhelming sadness that kept tugging down on the corners of his straining mouth. And the things that fell out of his strained mouth, were all such sad and confusing things. And it's those sad and confusing things that have now forced him to go and see his therapist. Granted, the timing was pretty off, but I am glad that Cade now knows that I knew about him seeing a therapist. His mother had only told me in spite. I only told him that I knew, with love.
At the moment, only Cade himself knows why he sees his therapist. But I know he will tell me, just as soon as he is ready. Margaret Lapley was intent on using it, simply to drive a big and fearful wedge between us. But if anything, it will just bring us closer. For no matter how broken Cade seems to be, I just want to be the glue to hold him together. The great thing about glue is that once it has set, there is no need for any more pressure. Because once the broken pieces have all been invisibly held together by the glue, the broken pieces become whole again. That's what I want for Cade. With my help, I want him to feel whole again. He told me that he didn't want the ghosts that haunt his heart, to become mine. But when you love someone, their ghosts do become yours. I just want the haunting of him to stop. I want to exorcise the demons that constantly seem to darken his world.

Yes, he is broken.

Yes, he is haunted.

But I know I can fix him.

Because in his chivalrously complicated way, Cade has fixed me.

"You okay?" Mum has a motherly hold on my shoulders.

Using the very same words that Cade had told me, I cuddle up against her with a knowing smile. "I will be."

And in my heart, I just know that I will.

Just as I know that Cade will be too.