Ignitable - Chapter Nine

Sophia...

As I carefully drive into Lapley Law Firm, I just know that my little red Ford Ka is going to look so very inferior when I park up beside all of the BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes and the Range Rovers that I see just coming into view. The property itself is a beautifully large victorian detached house, obviously now turned into business premises, but being built with traditional Cotswold stone and its six attractively deep casement windows, make for a truly impressive frontage.

During the short drive here, I honestly kept doubting whether I really should. But because this place is only on the outskirts of Cirencester, I really didn't have enough time to talk myself out of coming to see Cade. And now that I am here, standing on the gravelled ground, my nerves have unfortunately taken a firm hold of me. Clutching the wicker picnic basket tightly between my slightly shaking hands, I inhale a deep breath for courage and start slowly walking towards the just as impressive oak front door with its decorative brass lock plate and sanctuary knocker. I don't use the knocker, I just quickly admire it before stepping inside. As I nervously do enter, I start looking left to right, trying to spot where reception might be. My searching eyes then widen, appreciating the beautiful curved staircase right in front of me that has been so carefully restored. Just as I am staring at the stunning staircase, it is then that I see on the whitest of painted walls, Cade's name so proudly engraved on a large brass plaque. His name sits just under his mother's name, Margaret Lapley. And it is then, that I truly start to feel completely out of my depth by being here. As I quietly begin to panic, I notice that reception is the room to the left of me. It's shiny black door beckons me, but I'm now wondering whether I should be here at all?

This is one of your stupidest ideas ever!

You can't just drop by unannounced.

He is probably too busy to see you.

He probably won't want to see you.

Do you really want to see him?

My harassing thoughts pierce themselves into my panicked brain, making my panic become stronger and stronger. Just as I'm about to turn and anxiously leave, someone breezes out of that very door, muttering an obligatory apology to me as they hurriedly bypass me. Now the door is wide open, the prim receptionist suddenly becomes aware of my very awkward looking presence. "Good morning, can I help you?" The member of staff is both polite and professional. Not exactly warm, but as personable as she needs to be.

"Would I be able to see Cade Lapley, please?"

Glancing down at the picnic basket in my arms, she quickly asks. "Do you have an appointment?"

"No, no I don't." My nerves are getting stronger, but I still try to remain outwardly relaxed and calm.

With tightly pursed lips, the tone of the stiff receptionist quickly changes. "I see." She obviously puts a lot of effort into her strait-laced librarian look, because not a single hair is out of place on her smooth and chic high chignon. "Without an appointment, I'm afraid you won't be able to see him." She tries to sound apologetic, but her indifferent brown eyes tell me otherwise.

"I know that this is a big ask, but please would you just let him know that I am here?" Regardless of the growing nerves, I am still here. So I figure that actually means something. I have already come this far. I now just need to do what I came here to do. And once I have done that, I can swiftly leave.

Still, the po-faced receptionist shakes her head with a really hard frown. "Mr Lapley is very busy, he doesn't see anyone without an appointment." Okaaaaaay, she's getting just a teensy bit over zealous with that anyone in her rather snotty reply.