Countryside Love: 10 ~ An Old Crush

10 ~ An Old Crush

For the pass week Libby, Josh and even my own mother were trying to get me to call Dr Matthews. At first I felt happy about it with them teasing me to call him but after two days of constant bugging I got fed up and gave in to them.

At five, I called Dr Matthews. At first I hang up since I didn’t know what to say. I don’t know him that well and I didn’t know his intentions are. We only met about a week ago not to mention under weird circumstances and then he wanted me to call him. Of course, my phone ringed and it was his number flashing on my screen.

I didn’t answer the first ring but when he ringed again, I felt bad and pick up the phone and this is how our conversation went;

Me: Hello?

Dr Matthews: Is this Amber Gale?

Me: Maybe, depends on why you want to know.

Dr Matthews: (he chuckles) you don’t remember me don’t you?

Me: Should I?

Dr Matthews: I used to live next to you and your family before my family and I moved to New York. I think you were only six back then and we used to play all the time.

Me: Huh?

Dr Matthews: It’s me Derek Matthews or what you used to call me the lollipop boy!

That was when it hit me. When I was still that cheerful little girl, there was a boy who lived next door. They invited us for a barbeque and my ice cream fell on the grass and started crying then this little boy gave me a lollipop and it happened every time I cry that’s why I called him lollipop boy.

Of course remembering all that made me all embarrassed when I realise he was the one who helped me gave birth not to mention I am now a single mother. So then, I felt awkward and couldn’t help but stutter all the time. Thankfully though, he was need and had to leave but he wanted to have coffee with me to ‘catch up’ he said before hanging up.

After that phone call, I told my mother, Josh and Libby about what happen. They all agreed that I should go and meet him but I was still embarrassed about it but I did agree to see him. I texted him where and what time we should meet up.

Five days had pass since I talk to Dr Matthews or Derek. We were meeting up in about three hours. I had told myself not to bother with my looks because first, I’m a teenage single mother and second, why would he like me when he never did when we were young. But I still found myself getting ready three hours early.

However, after my mother had dropped me off, I felt like déjà vu. It was like with Taylor all over again and I didn’t want that to happen to me again. One was already enough and if it wasn’t for Beck, I would have committed suicide. So, I convince myself that its only old friends trying to catch up like he said. Truth was, I didn’t think deep enough to be more than that until Josh put the idea in my head that it was an excuse to see me again.

Derek was already at the café and I can tell he was getting a lot of attention from the girls around him but he wasn’t even paying attention to them. He just keeps looking at his watch and that’s when I realise I had been standing there for ten minutes.

I apologise right away when I saw Derek and he told me he also just got there so it was no worries when I knew that was a lie but that little lie did give me butterflies. We then ordered our food and the waitress who served us was properly glaring at me like I just insulted her whenever Derek wasn’t looking.

Our chat started with him asking how I was and the family. I told him about the divorce of my parents then I found out we also had that one in common that’s why he had to move to New York with his dad seven years ago.

The conversation suddenly becomes awkward because I knew he wanted to ask about the baby. He never asked but I knew he wanted to know because I can tell after all I told him all about my life to the part that we moved to the city but I missed out the part about Taylor.

In the end I never told him about it and he never asked. We did however, watch a comedy film that he said ‘his friends refuse to watch it with him’ but I can tell he already seen the film because there were part where he started sniggering seconds before the funny part begins.

That night he drops me off and asked if I would like to come to his party. It was his housewarming party and he said I can bring my friends if I want but he did mention that it will be too noisy to bring the baby but I said I’ll think about it.

When he left and I opened the door to the house, I was ambush by Libby, Josh and my mother. All of them wanting to know how the ‘date’ went and I told them it’s not a date or more like I was trying to convince myself that it wasn’t.