Countryside Love: 8 ~ Breaking the News

8 ~ Breaking the News

Josh run to the pharmacy which was just across the station after I told them I been feeling for the pass weeks and it was Libby who ordered him to go get ‘it’. What’s ‘it’? I have no idea but the two seems to be talking telepathically because Josh run for it.

When Josh run back, he was holding a plastic back and inside seems to be at least six pregnancy tests in different brands. Libby then left and both a bottle of water from the vending machine and order me to drink it all which I did. Ten minutes later I was stuck in the toilet on the train.

The first one showed two lines, second one showed a smiley face and the third one two cross. I stop on the third one and came out of the toilet where Libby and Josh had been waiting for me patiently.

“So… what did it say?” Josh asked. Out of the three of us, it was Josh who was always been very impatient.

“Pregnant.” I whispered, “Oh my god! What am I going to do?” I whisper-yelled to them because there might be someone in our town in the train with us and I didn’t even notice.

“Well I know you have to leave town.” Libby said sadly and what he said is true. It will be a big issue and my mother will looked like a bad mother if I turn up pregnant. “The question is, where are you going to stay?”

“Maybe talk to your mother first.” Josh suggested after a long silence.

“Please, come with me?” Libby and Josh nod their head before we hugged each other tightly. They knew how I felt and they knew I was scared.

Telling my mother that I was pregnant was the hardest thing I could had done in my life. The look of disappointment was enough for me to want the ground to swallow me up and drag me to hell. I continue to apologise to her until I was crying my eyes out.

“Well, we can’t do anything about it then.” She said to me without even the hint of disappointment or even anger in her voice. She just holds me close to her and rock me like when I was a little girl who just had a nightmare. “You’ll have the baby, we’ll move to the city and you’ll be home-schooled.”

I knew how much sacrifice my mother has to give. She never likes the city, she had a great job here since she just had been promoted as manager about six months ago and we have to sell our house. I know long before that she loved that house and when I mention all of those things, she told me that what’s matter is my happiness.

So during half term, my mother had looked for a job and a house in the city. She also quit her job saying that she need to move to the city because of her mother falling ill and needed to be taken care of from now on when Libby, Josh and I knew that it wasn’t true because my grandmother had died five years ago.

At the end of the week, we were ready to move to our new house. Libby and Josh had promise to visit during holidays.

The city my mother picks was the next city where Taylor and my dad lives. She thought it will be best if we were far away from the people that bring us pain and I agree with her. The house she bought isn’t as nice as our old house but it was a decent house she could get for a cheap price.

My mother had to work the very next day we moved. I told her that I’ll be fine unpacking all the stuff since she told me, I won’t start my home-school until next week giving me plenty of time to fix everything up.

The house wasn’t as big as our old one. The living room shares space with the dining area, the kitchen wasn’t big and there’s no toilet on the first floor. It has two bedroom and both double. I told my mother that I will share bedroom with the baby which she didn’t agree at first until I reason with her some more.

I started painting the walls and I knew instantly when I saw the outside of the house, why my mother got it for a cheap price. The house looked like no had been living in it for the pass years and no one even bothered to take care of it.

My mother didn’t know if she should be please or not when she got home from work. She said with all this work I’m doing, I’m endangering my health and the baby but she did praise the worked I done. You see I had managed to paint the living room, kitchen and the ceiling of the bathroom upstairs. The rest of the bathroom walls were tiles and it only need a few scrubbing which didn’t take me long enough to do.

The only left to paint was mine and the baby’s room, my mother’s room and the outside. We both agreed that we’ll paint our own room but we will paint the outside on the weekend together. I gladly took that offer because I didn’t fancy climbing on the ladder by myself with no one to support the bottom.

So the next day, I painted my room and after that, I started unpacking everything from the living room first and I moved upwards. By the end of the day, the only thing that needs to be unpacking was my things and my mother’s things.

The following day, I didn’t do anything during the afternoon as morning sickness settled in. But I manage to mow the backyard. The day after that, I did the front yard and did a bit of gardening until I felt sick all over again then before we knew it, it was the weekend and my mother and I were painting our walls like the very first time we moved to the countryside.

At that time, every thought connecting to the countryside gives me an unsettling feeling. At first, I’ll be smiling, remembering the house, Libby and Josh and how my life had been blissful not worrying about anything then I will remember Taylor. How naïve I was to fall in love with and let myself fall for him so badly that my chest hurt by just thinking about it.

He was my first love. The very first person I felt like giving everything and I did but now it was just a foolish memory, a memory that I couldn’t forget because he was the first one that made me realise what love can make us do.