Countryside Love: 9 ~ Unexpected

9 ~ Unexpected

Everyday became a routine for me. My home-schooled teacher will come and teach me then I’ll try and help out around the house by cleaning and doing chores. She’s very nice woman and very open-minded. In society now, if they see a pregnant teenager they frown upon them and sometimes even their parent’s but Elaine was pretty cool about it and even told me that her own mother was very young when she got pregnant.

Every half-term – yes, I keep tabs of when my friends have half-term – they will come and stay there for a week. Even when it was Christmas holiday, they begged their family to have their Christmas at the house and even New Year’s Eve.

As the months passed, my stomach got bigger and bigger. My mother will bring me to the doctors for my ultrasound and the proud look on her face was something I will always remember whenever we see my baby.

When I was seven months pregnant, my mother help me shop for baby stuff. Of course, we had to do it online because I feel embarrassed going out with my stomach looking like it’s ready to burst any minute now.

My mother wanted to spoil her first grandchild but of course I wouldn’t let her. She wanted to buy the most expensive crib, toys and even clothes. But in the end we settled on a less expensive but still have good quality. I did however let her buy my little boy an expensive polar-bear stuff toy.

A week later, everything we ordered arrive and my mother was more excited than I was. She even took a day off just so we or I should say ‘she’ could set it all up without my help. She had told me just to sit down and realise which I did because believe it or not, I felt very tired just moving about while carrying my baby in my tummy.

Days turn to weeks and before I knew it, Libby and Josh were done with their high school life and I’m ready to pop.

I still remember that day very clearly. I just welcomed Libby and Josh into the house and they just put down their luggage when I felt this pain on my stomach. It had been happening all morning but it comes and goes. It wasn’t until Libby who apparently been reading too much books about giving birth told me I was in labour.

All of us panicked because one, we had no idea what to do. Two, my mother was at work and I wasn’t expected to give birth until next week and third, none of us can drive. It was Libby who calms down first; she ordered Josh to call a taxi while she get my stuff and inform my mother on what’s happening.

So six hours I was in labour and I only seen the nurses to check up on me. Apparently, my doctor is treating another patient and another doctor will be the one who is going to look after me through the whole process of giving birth.

The thing was, my old doctor was a woman and this new doctor, and I had no idea about if it’s a he or a she but all I can do is hope that it’s a woman. But of course my hope was breaks into pieces when a man walks in wearing what a suit under his white robe.

“Hi, I am Dr Matthews.” He said and all I can do was looked at him, stunned and doubtful.

Why?

First, he was young like he just came out of university. Second, he seems inexperience with how he clumsily drops his pens and practically everything he touches and I seriously feared for the life of my unborn baby. Third, well because he was smoking hot!

However, I didn’t had time to ask for a new doctor because I was about to have a baby. The nurse who entered with him was checking how close I was and when she realise I was very close, they rushed me out of that room with me screaming in pain and asking for my mother to be in the room.

My attention was focus on nothing but the pain, my breathing and pushing. I had forgotten that I wanted a new doctor, I forgotten that I was worrying about my baby’s safety and I forgotten the thought that once the baby come out, I’ll be a mother.

So when I heard my baby’s cries all I can do is sigh in relief and smile when they pass me my baby. I cradle him so carefully and greeted him with so much love. When they took my baby to get him clean, I look up to my mother who kissed my sweaty forehead and told me how proud she was of me.

I stayed in the hospital for two more days because Dr Matthews wanted to make sure I was doing well but in my opinion he had another reason for keeping me there and it didn’t take long before I found out.

It was an hour before my mother comes to pick me and my new born baby Beck back home when Dr Matthews came into my room. He have a banquet of red roses and shyly he gave it to me said, “I hope things goes well with you and your baby. If you need anyone, I’m here,” then he left hurriedly looking very shy.

I wanted to thank him for the flowers, so when I asked the nurse who came in the room to help me out, I asked him where Dr Matthews was and he told me that he had requested a day off.

When I got into my mother’s car, she asked about the flowers and I told her the truth. She then told me all the stories she heard from the nurses about Dr Matthews. According to her, he did just finished university but he worked hard to earn his position now and he is only twenty-four years old and a bachelor then she teased me all the way back home.

As soon as we got home, she told the story to Libby and Josh who went mental silently screaming their heads off because the baby was asleep. My mother offer to bring Beck to his new bed while I put the roses into a vase but when I took the plastic wrap a card feel off the ground and on it was Dr Matthews’ number and the words ‘call me’.