Chapter 13

Note: Hey Everyone! This is a little shorter than usual but I needed to introduce you to Sparrow. I promise more Peyton and Mason next time. I hope you enjoy anyway. These two may be cold but this is gonna be fun. ; )

Chapter 13

Law looked out of the dusty windows of the abandoned mansion. Most of them where still boarded up but he’d managed to pry the board off this one. He’d studied the frayed opulence throughout the house while he’d camped out in the mansion for the last two days waiting for Sparrow’s arrival. People outside the Safe Zones couldn’t afford to live in places like this anymore. They cost too much to maintain and he could personally attest to the futility of heating something so large.

They’d thought Sparrow would be here yesterday when the dark rainclouds had started dropping their heavy burden, but she still hadn’t reappeared. He had extra winter clothes, blankets, and medical supplies at hand. He remembered the way Peyton was after she’d come out of the Temporal Warp. Law shook his head, he’d just as soon call it lightning but Wolfram insisted it wasn’t the same. It would be far worse for Sparrow, now that it was mid-December. The rain kept up its steady downfall, “Lucky me,” Law thought to himself. The stupid mansion was right next to the Willamette River. It was freezing outside. It wasn’t much better inside, but at least he had protection from the wind and the rain.

Sighing, he went to put on his coat so he could check the perimeter before sunset. He’d eat later. He’d just bent down to pick it up off the ragged French style couch when he felt it. That hair-raising feel of electricity filling the air, traveled up his body, and his hair stood up on end. It was just as Logan had described to him. He cursed and ran back to the window just in time to see a bolt of purple blue lightning touch down.

He saw her perfectly outlined in the lightning, as time seemed to slow. Her naked body stretched low over her right foot. Her left leg pointed gracefully in the opposite direction of her body with her toes facing forward. Her outstretched palms hid her chest. Her fingertips touched together forming a triangle as he watched her through the window.

Law knew it was a Martial Arts stance of some sort but he didn’t know enough to name it. She was graceful and lovely. The slowing of time stopped and resumed its normal pace. She stood from her crouched position as the temporal residue seeped into the earth, leaving no trace behind. Straight raven black hair lashed at her face in the wind and rain. Shock registered in her eyes before they rolled back and she collapsed in a heap on the wet leaves covering the stone patio.

Law grabbed a thermo blanket and rushed out the back door. He reached her in moments but she was unconscious. He quickly wrapped the thermo blanket around her and gently picked her up. She was small; it didn’t take much effort on his part as he took her back inside. He had to warm her before hypothermia set in.

Once he had her inside, he set her down on the French style couch he’d been sleeping on, tucking her small frame into the covers for warmth. He grabbed the thick beanie he’d brought and tucked it over her head. She started shivering before her eyes opened, automatically trying to sit up. Law pressed her back into the covers.

His touch was gentle but firm, matching his voice, “Don’t get up. Your body has just been exposed to extreme cold. I have coffee. It’s still warm. I’m going to lift your head so you can drink. We need to raise your internal temperature.” Sparrow looked up at him through big brown eyes before they scanned down his torso and back up. He got the feeling it was more to assess his threat level than it was to check him out. He pulled the small rusty side table closer and poured the coffee into his cup. “Drink this,” he ordered.

She was shivering more now, but kept her mouth closed stubbornly, “N… no!” She managed to force through clenched teeth.

“I’m a Doctor. You’ll die if I can’t get you warm. Drink the damn coffee!” He could see her shivering getting worse even with the blankets he had her under wrapped close.