Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Mason groaned as he made his way down the stairs. His head felt as if a thousand construction workers were trying to jackhammer their way out of his brain. It didn’t help that he had programmed their CP to wake him up at eight, telling him that he had to get to work, “CP you’re lucky you’re a hologram or I’d throw you across the room.”

He didn’t expect a response and was surprised when he heard a feminine laugh coming from the general direction of the couch. “She’s lucky she’s a hologram and doesn’t have to respond to your lame threats.”

Mason glared at the hesha in front of him, not in the mood for playful banter. That is until he looked more closely at her as she sat up on her knees, wresting her elbows on the back of the couch. His first thought was “Nice work.” His second thought, he said aloud, “Who the hell are you?”

“Wow that’s blunt. I’m Payton.” She jumped over the couch quickly and walked into the kitchen. “You look like crap. Have a good night out?” She asked him as she poured coffee into the green and the blue mugs on the counter. “How do you like your hangover coffee?”

“Black,” he answered without thinking and she handed him the blue mug without a word. The hesha, Peyton, turned to get the creamer out of the fridge and added it to the green cup before putting it back into the fridge and swirling a spoon through her coffee. Mason could only stare at her in confusion. She really had a woman’s body language down, “Why do you look familiar and what are you doing in my kitchen?”

Peyton took a sip of her coffee and looked at him with her hip propped against the counter. He stiffened as she inspected him head to toe. His hair was dark brown and a little shaggy, it looked soft. Morning shadow darkened his jaw line and Peyton couldn’t help but think he looked sexy as hell. He was taller than her, always a plus in her book and since he was shirtless and in loose shorts she had a great view of his lean, well muscled body. She shook her head, “Bad Peyton! No cradle robbing, they are all younger than you...” That thought cooled her down and made her giggle unexpectedly. The guy was looking at her like she’d grown two heads. “Sorry um…” She trailed off realizing that she didn’t know his name yet.

“Mason,” he provided reluctantly.

“Well, sorry Mason, I got lost in my thoughts for a sec. Let’s see, you had questions. Um, well Carter said I look like m’ Ellen. As for what I’m doing here, I’m staying with a relative?” She winced inwardly as he looked at her through suspicious green eyes with flecks of gold in the center. She swallowed nervously and tried to hide it by taking another sip of coffee.

“Who is it?” He asked drinking his own coffee, staring at her through dark, thick lashes over the rim of his cup.

“Law, he went to take a shower. He should be out in a minute.” Peyton saw mason relax and take another sip of coffee while rounding the counter to go into the living room. She relaxed slightly and started to follow him out.

He stopped short just as he entered the living room, nearly causing Peyton to run into his back, “Hey be careful!” She protested.

Mason ignored her, remembering what he’d heard when he’d got home yesterday, “…they’ll probably assume she’s a hesha the way you two did. I’ll let her know what a hesha is in the morning so she can get used to the idea and play along.”

Spinning around he thunked his coffee down on the counter, causing it to slosh all over. Seeing the sudden look of anger in his eyes, she stepped back. Mason followed, trapping her against the counter. His voice was quiet as he bent his head down to look her in the eyes, “Why would my brothers want me to assume that you’re a hesha?”