Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Law watched his sister eat spaghetti in wonder. Growing up he’d talked to her all the time, thinking she was an angel in heaven. Yet here she was nineteen, alive, confused and more than likely scared out of her mind. He was scared too. If the government found out there was a woman outside of the Safe Zone, well let’s just say it wouldn’t be good. He closed his eyes at the thought, a shudder of icy fear running through his veins. When he opened them she was staring directly into his eyes, “You were going to explain while I eat remember?”

“Right, sorry, I was trying to gather my thoughts. Do you remember what year it is?” He asked.

She looked at him strangely before answering, “Last time I checked it was 2034. Why?”

“You disappeared on June 5th, 2034. Today is June 7th, 2059. Somehow you’ve skipped all the horrible things that have happened to the human race in the last twenty-five years.” Law’s hands moved expressively while speaking, trying to make her understand.

Peyton made a spluttering noise as she tried not to choke on a spaghetti noodle. Carter patted her on the back, as she coughed, “You can’t be serious. How is that even possible?”

Law ran a hand through his hair, “I wish Wolfram was here. He was always talking about stuff like this. He saw you hit by the lightning too. Mom said working on time travel theory was his way of coping.”

“Well call him up. We can just ask him about it. Wolf will recognize me, I know he will.” Peyton leaned forward on the edge of her seat. Now that they had mentioned him, she wanted to see him.

Law just shook his head no, “I’m sorry. We haven’t heard from him in what, three years?” He looked to the others to confirm the number. They both nodded.

“Last we heard he was working with the military. Some highly classified shi… a stuff.” Carter put in trying to clean up his language, knowing their mom wouldn’t appreciate him cursing in front of her eldest daughter.

Logan chimed in, “Maybe May would know? She’s just as smart as her Dad and she’s the only person I know that could actually follow everything Wolfram talked about.”

“Wait, Wolf has a daughter? Okay, stop talking right now.” They all three stopped and watched her as she pinched the bridge of her nose trying to alleviate the headache that was starting to form. She took a deep breath, “Now, I just want a few highlights about what’s happened in the last twenty-five years. You mentioned horrible things happening to people. Tell me in the order of what happened please.”

Law looked at her again, and this time she saw the pain, and the ghosts haunting him within his blue-green gaze. He was quiet for so long that she started to think he wasn’t going to say anything when he began talking. His voice was soft and raspy, the painful memories still affecting him.

“I was told that after you disappeared, Dad reported it to the police. There was an investigation and they tried to say Dad murdered you. They found the evidence of a lightning strike in the ground, as well as the charred mess that was your phone and your clothes. They also had Wolfram’s testimony. He told the police what he saw and when they found out his IQ, they started to believe Dad’s story.” Law rested his hands on his lap.

“They were devastated for a long time. Aunt Mandy and Wolfram moved in with us for a while to help. She said they were practically zombies for almost a year. Dad painted the painting I showed you and would sit in front of it for hours. His other paintings were dark and sad. Wolf said they didn’t come out of it until they heard me say my first word.” He paused trying to organized things he’d been told.