Their Pride Part 45

Chapter 44

“Can you believe it,” I mumbled as we walked out of the gate and towards our vehicle.

Seb let out a laugh.  “Actually, I can.  It seems that even when you don’t try, you somehow know the exact thing to do.”

“But Alaska.  I never thought that she would actually be there.  I just sent them there because I thought they needed it.  I did it for them to grow up, not actually be in the middle of everything.”

His hand wrapped around my shoulder.  “You can’t protect them forever, Alex.  They needed this, and if that means that they are going to have to deal with the threat of Evelyn, then they will have to deal.”

I took his words in, but I didn’t like them.  Blake was still a part of me.  He may not have been the one for me, but he was still family.  I opened my mouth, but something stopped me.  Blake’s emotions hit me hard.  He was panicked, and in a situation, he didn’t know how to handle.

“Blake,” I whispered to him in a firm tone.

“Ally?” His voice had the panicked edge to it, but she could hear the relief too.  “What do I do?”

He sent me an image of teeth snapping in his face.  The teeth belonged to a certain lion that was supposed to be helping, not hindering.  I let out a sigh. “Fight her, Blake.  Ignore the fact that she is a girl and fight her.”

“I can’t.”

Frustration hit me.  Seb was right; I couldn’t keep babying him.  He needed to learn to do things on his own. “You can.  Just stop thinking and let instinct take over.   You’re a shifter, Blake.  Fighting is practically engrained into us at birth.  Quit thinking and use the power you have.  We both know it’s there, Blake.  Use it.”

I broke the connection as quickly as I could.  It must have been too quick because my mind swirled, making me lose my balance.  Arms wrapped around me, and I could feel the worry radiating off Seb.  “Alex, you need to take it easy.  You have two and a half months left.”

“I have longer than that,” I responded.  I couldn’t have this baby in two months.  There may have been a baby bump, but I wasn’t ready yet.  Looking down at my stomach, I realized that the thing was large than I had though.  In human time, I was about four months along, with shifters; I was only a month and a half.  The scariest thing was the face that there were three in there.

“Alex, think about it.  Blake has been gone for a week.”

I straightened my spine, looking him dead in the eyes I answered, “We are going to Alaska.”

He shook his head at me. “Not until you get some much needed rest.”

“I’m not tired,” I mumbled while pulling away from him and walking towards our vehicle.  He jogged until he caught up with me.

Snagging my hand, I felt the tension from his body ease away.  “Don’t do that.”

“What?”

“Pull away from me,” he mumbled.  “I don’t like when you do that.  It makes me feel weird.”

“It’s the babies,” I told him. 

He stopped, but since he was still holding my hand, I only had two choices.  I could pull away from his grasp, or stop with him.  Looking at his face, I noted the serious expression there.  “What is it?”

He tugged me closer until my body was flushed against his.  Looking down on me, he smiled a little.  “You honestly think I want to be around you because of the babies?  Sure, I have to admit that I’m a little more worried over you than usual, but, Alex, I love you.  Don’t you understand that that has never happened to me before?  All the people in my life have left me.  I can’t stand thinking that you’ll leave me too.”