Their Pride Part 20

Chapter 19

With that one word, everything became silent.  Did he just say he loved me?  My body automatically wanted to run, but I remembered what I had told myself earlier.  I would not walk away again.  I would not run from anything.

Stepping up, I yanked the doors open without invitation.  There was no one in the foyer, so I walked towards their study.  The doors were left wide open for anyone to see their argument.  They weren’t thinking right.  It wasn’t safe for them to be so distracted.  I could have been someone else, someone who wanted to cause harm.

I walked through the doors as if I owned the place.  If I was going to be their queen, I needed to start acting like one.  Two sets of eyes widened as they finally realized I was there.

“How?” Michael asked.  I could tell by looking at his face that what he really wanted to know was how much I overheard.

I shrugged my shoulders. “You made it possible.  The soap made my scent go away.  I am immune to your chemical obstacle.  Also, the fact that you two were so distracted,” I flashed him an evil smile before continuing. “Tsk tsk, Michael.  Do you know where that pretty little wife of yours is?”

“You wouldn’t,” he hissed at me.

My smile widened. “I wouldn’t?  You are meddling too much in business that is not yours.  If I was you I would watch my loved ones a little closer if you’re planning on angering someone like me.”

“You don’t even know how to control you’re powers.”  His smile was smug and it took everything I had not to claw it off his face.

My eyes glowed and I let a partial shift take over.  It was enough to do some damage, but it was mainly a scare tactic.  One that obviously worked, as he glanced from my elongated nails to my sharpened teeth with surprise.  I tilted my head to the side and let my grin widen. “I know enough.”

“You think I can’t do that?” he asked with slight hesitation. 

“I think that if I tell you that you will never shift again, then you will never be able to enjoy your other form again.  How would you like that; to have that urge inside of you, but never to be able to relieve it?”

His face turned white, but he didn’t say a word.  Someone else did though.

“You would really do that, Alex?” Sebastian asked.

I didn’t look at him as I answered, “Yes.  If he is trying to cause harm to me or mine, he is an enemy.  He obviously cannot be trusted, but I didn’t think he would take it this far.”

There was a moment of silence before Seb said, “That’s ruthless.  I’m proud of you, Alex.  I wasn’t sure that you would be able to do something like that, but after hearing the conviction in your voice, I know you can.  You’ll be a great leader.”

I finally turned to look at him.  What I saw made my heart skip a beat.  Standing there, he gazed at me with a smile and a gleam in his eyes.  I had seen that gleam for a while now, but I just realized that it was love.  How long had it been there?  He hadn’t known me for long, but he was already showed his emotions.  I guess that was part of being human.

“Thanks, Seb.  Can I talk to you alone for a minute?” I asked him with a tiny smile.

“You will not take him anywhere!” Michael screamed. 

Surprised, I took a step back.  I mentally cursed.  This was not a time to show fear, and when I stepped back, that was exactly what I was doing.  I pierced him with a glare.