Their Pride Part 35

Chapter 34

My heart banged in my chest.  I didn’t know what to expect, but this reminded me too much of my past.  Trees were everywhere, but the glow of lights shone through them.  I walked behind Leo in complete silence.  Seb was behind me and Zeke was taking up the back of our line.

“Leo,” I whispered.

He looked over his shoulder and raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, Ally?”

“Why don’t you have anyone with you?”

“Well,” he started, “we didn’t really have time to pick anyone up.  My guy will be here.”

I nodded and decided to keep my mouth closed.  Scents violated my nose as we got closer to the  light.  The only thing I could identify was the smell of a lion shifter.  The others I was not familiar with.  

My body stayed tense.  I couldn’t relax.  Thoughts flew through my head to quickly for me to manage.  I couldn’t do it.  Facing those people was something that I just wasn’t ready for.  I wasn’t ready to be part of this life.  What I wanted to do was run; I wanted to run until I couldn’t any longer.

“Alex,” Seb said, “you need to calm down.  Everything will be okay.  They are just like you and me.  The only difference is that we are leopards.”

I took a deep breath and nodded my head.  I could do this.  This wouldn’t be hard at all.  The further we walked into the woods, the further the trees were from each other.  Soon, we were standing in a large, lit opening.

I glanced around in confusion.  Tiki torches made a pathway, and at the end of the path were four tables set in a square with the middle open.  They were large, ancient looking tables, but there were only four: four tables with three chairs at each one.  There would be no more than twelve people here.  I let out a sigh.  Twelve wasn’t bad.

I scanned the area and noticed that, although all the chairs were empty, there were people standing behind them.  Some would be left empty.  For example, I was assuming that the large man who looked like an older Leo was part of his people, but the empty chair must have been for his absent mate.

The first thing I wanted to do was ask why there weren’t more people, but at that moment I figured my question would only hinder me.  It would make me look like a clueless, immature shifter.  I knew I was those things, but there was no way I was letting the other’s realize that.

I walked towards the empty table with my head held high.  The seven people I didn’t know glanced at me in an analyzing way.  Were they wondering where I had come from?  Or were they wondering why I was here in the first place?  I stood by my chair with Zeke to my right and Seb to my left.  We looked straight ahead.  My eyes connected with Leo’s; they sparkled, but his expressions stayed the same. 

“As the host for tonight’s meeting, I bid you all to sit,” a man from the right table called out. 

All at once, everyone sat in there prospective seats.  I kept my face forward, not knowing what to do. 

“Now,” the woman from the left called out, “I’m the Tiger Queen.  Honey, you can look at me.  I don’t know what you’ve heard, but we all support you here.  We all knew your parents.”

My eyes darted towards her. “I’m Alexandria.”

“Yes, I know.  My name is Ari,” she told me with a smile.  She was an older lady with black hair and orange stripes.

“I like your hair,” I blurted.  Immediately I wanted to cover my mouth with my hand and let out a groan.  I didn’t though; I just sat there and waited for what was next.