Their Pride Part 4

Chapter 3

Anger coursed through my veins as I sped towards his truck, not even caring if someone saw me run with unnatural speed. I wanted answers from Seb, no matter how frightened of me he was. I reached his truck and yanked the passenger door open. Plopping down on the seat, I didn't even make an effort to look over at him.

"Are you going to put on your seatbelt?" he asked me. 

I just huffed and refused to answer.

"Look. I don't really know why you're so mad, but I'll deal with it when we get to my house okay?"

"Fine," I grumbled at him still not wanting to give in.

Pretty soon, we pulled up to a large house. When I said house what I really meant was mansion. The large iron gates made it have an intimidating look to it. He reached out and pressed a code into the keypad causing the evil gates to open. The truck drove down the long driveway, and completely passed up the front of the house. Going to what looked like the backyard, he stopped and hopped out.

I grudgingly followed after him, knowing that he would need my help to move all of the bodies. I reached for two while he grabbed the small female once more. I walked after him until he stopped at a hole in the ground. He dropped the female in before backing up giving me room to throw my own burdens in.

I glanced down at the hole and realized that it was lined in cement. Little jets poked out from the sides. I have to say I was pretty impressed. Whoever lived here sure did know what was necessary in life.

Seb walked towards the pit, and pressed a button. A screen closed over the hole, and fire busted into the pit.

"Explain," I told him tired of not knowing.

"You want to sit?” I sent him a glare. "Standings good too."

"Explain," I hissed at him.

"My grandfather is a black leopard," he said quickly causing his words to jumble together, but I heard every word.

My heart started beating faster and a large smile spread on my face. Does that mean there are more like me out there? Someone who could relate to what I was going through?

"He's the last one that we know of," he said crushing all my hopes.

I nodded for him to continue. "That's the reason I was frightened for a minute there. It's the knife. Normal shifters can't touch it. The only thing that can touch it is a black were-leopard. I can because I'm one fourth. This also explains how I could smell them coming earlier."

 "Why are you frightened if I'm a black leopard?" I asked still hurt by his fear.

"No, I'm not frightened of you! My grandpa is one, do you honestly think I would be afraid of you?" he asked looking miffed.

I nodded my head. "What are you afraid of then?"

“How many people know what you are?"

"My old pride,” I answered with confusion evident in my voice.

"That right there was what I was afraid of. They will hunt you until you're dead. They did that to my grandpa when he mated with a human. This is his house. He faked his death, and learned to mask his smell. That's the only reason why he is alive now," he told me adamantly.

I understood. "So, can you shift?"

He let out a laugh. "You have to be at least half shifter to shift. I only have heightened senses."

A thought clicked in my head. "That means if I mated with you, we would have shifter children." I told him smiling.

 He choked looking at me in disbelief. "You honestly need to work on acting more human. You can't just walk around telling people stuff like that.” 

"Why not? If I want to pick the perfect mate, I need to be blunt," I said while raising my eyebrow.  What better way was there than being honest?

"There is a difference between blunt, and how you are. And what do you mean you pick your perfect mate?" he asked.

"Your grandpa didn't explain to you how it works?"

"No, I thought it was like the werewolves in Twilight. They just imprint and that's it,” he said while motioning his hand around in frustration.

"Twilight? Never mind, that's not important. Only mutts 'imprint'. We're smarter than that. Leopards find a mate that is strong enough to bring us strong young."

"So, you just pick who you think is good enough?" he asked with curiousness in his voice.

 “Yes, well some mate for love, seeing as once you go through the mating ritual you’re stuck with that person forever. You're completely monogamous."

 "So, you could choose anybody?" he asked looking slightly hopeful.

 "Yes, anyone."

He smiled at me. "Come on. I think you should meet my grandfather."