Chapter 2: 'One Track Mind'

One Track Mind

Davey.

Davey.

Davey.

Why was that name still stuck in my head? It hadn’t left my mind since I met him last night. Something about him had been so intriguing to me that I found it hard to get him out of my head. I had run into Davey Johns yesterday when I had went to get coffee, alone as usual. He was very sweet but something about him intrigued me. He had complimented me the whole time we had talked and it was nice because I hadn’t been complimented since… well, none of that matters. I would probably never see him again. I had once again let a good guy slip through my fingers without so much as getting his number. I sometimes wondered if I was destined to be alone forever.

I mean, I’ve never had a boyfriend. Never been even remotely close to having a relationship and if we were being honest, I had never had my first kiss. I was 17 and far from any of the other girls in my grade. I wasn’t like the rest. I didn’t obsess over my looks, which may be why guys only thought of me as friends, because I wasn’t as in-your-face as those other girls. I pushed my Chemistry book out of my lap and onto the floor. There was no way I was going to get any of that done. Running my eyes across my room I stopped on my alarm clock. It was only 7:23. I still had at least another three hours before it would be acceptable to go to sleep.

I needed something to do in that time because I definitely wouldn’t be able to get back to that Chemistry homework, not that I particularly wanted to. I rubbed my temples hoping to get any thought of Davey out of my head. Dang it, I thought his name again. Now it’s going to be there for a least another 45 minutes.

I stood up out of my chair and walked over to my dresser to grab my jacket, wallet, and keys and headed out of my room and into the hallway. I bounced down the stairs and headed to the living room where I knew that my mom and dad would be, sitting around the fire fighting the icy, winter chill that threatened to creep under the doors and windows. I stepped into the room and my mom’s auburn curls shifted as she turned to look at me with a beaming smile on her face.

‘Emily, sweetie, are you going somewhere?’ she chirped happily while still beaming. My mom was ubber sweet but she worried about me constantly and I swear one day she is going to push herself into an early grave.

‘Yeah, I just really want to get out for a little bit. I feel like I’ve been really cramped up all day with school and then I headed straight home so I haven’t been out much today and I figured I would go to the coffee shop. Is that okay with you?’ I added on the last part because I figured I had a better chance of getting out if I asked permission rather than just telling her that I was going out. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my dad nod his head in acknowledgement before I heard my mom answer.

‘Well… okay. Just be careful. The roads are probably icy and I don’t want anything to happen to my favorite daughter.’ She answered rather hesitantly but I knew she was okay with it once she cracked the joke.

‘I’m your only daughter,’ I said with a low chuckle, ‘Love you! I’ll be home by 9:30.’ I threw over my shoulder as I left the living room and headed back to the foyer. I heard a spoken, ‘Love you too, sweetie.’ and then I was out the door. As I walked to my car I rubbed my hands together trying to keep them warm as the icy air took the breath from my lungs. As soon as I was in I turned the key in the ignition, and turned the heat up hoping to thaw myself off as I drove. I pulled out of the driveway and turned the radio on full blast and heard one of my favorite songs.

I wanted you bad.

I’m so through with that.

Cause honestly you turned out to be the best thing I never had.