Chapter Three: Brontophobia - Fear of Thunder

~Book 1: Fear for Hoping of Something Fruitless~

Chapter Three: Brontophobia- Fear of Thunder

Adam’s POV

It’s raining.  A thunderstorm actually.  It was the next day after a night of no sleep.  I was lying in bed because I couldn’t see anything so there was the fear of tripping – which is actually almost humorous.  “It’s raining, it’s storming, the old man is snoring…”  The crack of thunder went through the room and I saw something… I saw something.  No a movement or a shape, but a flash.  I jumped and curved my head towards the flashes.  I finally got the courage to stand and hurry to the flashes.  I pat the wall until I felt glass.  I saw a flash and another rumble of the thunder.  The noise pulsed my body; my cheat, my hair, my ears.

            I opened the window so I could feel the wind; strand of tear-like raindrops hit my cheeks rapidly.  Soon, it felt like my face and number.  I suspected another thunder coming and in chorus, I screamed into the air.  I let out all my fears…

            “What the…” hands wrapped around my waist and I was tugged back, hot breath fanned my ear, “What are you thinking, dude?  Are you mad?”

            It wasn’t the Twins or Ethan… who was it?  I tried to get out of the man’s grip but it was no help.  I twisted and turned but suddenly I felt his grip tighten.  He dropped me on the bed and I tried to escape him by crawling across the bed.  The footsteps left and I heard the window shut, “What were you doing?”

            “What are you doing in here?” I searched the room, where was he?  Was he going to hurt me?

            Hands gripped my shoulders and I let out a blood curdling scream.  His hands went to my mouth and held down, “Stop screaming!”  I froze.

            “Who the hell are you?!” I yelled out and he held me down.

            “It’s your neighbor,” he groaned when I slapped him, hard, “You hit hard for a little guy, you know that?”

            “I kick hard too,” I raised my knee hard right between what seems to be his legs.  He yelled out and fell off the bed.  I got back up but like a ninja, he grabbed me again.  Now I was on my stomach and he held me down, breathing hard.

            “Have you lost it?” he asked me, “I heard you next door!”

            I didn’t get it, “How the hell did you get in my apartment?!”

            He froze, “Um, doesn’t everyone know everyone puts a spare key under the mat?  I mean, really?  It’s common sense.”

            My jaw dropped, “It doesn’t mean ‘oh, take the key, welcome in.’”

            “Actually the doormat says ‘come on in,’” he pointed out.

            I snarled at him, “You’re kidding me, right?  I mean, come on!

            “And stop struggling, I’m… uh…”

            “Get off me.”

            “Promise not to punch or kick or bite me?”

            Silence…

            “That’s a lot to ask, dude,” I informed, my voice muffled by my face smothered into the sheets of the bed.

            He sighed; “Just…” he trailed off and coughed to follow on a few awkward seconds later, “I came here to help you.  So, don’t try to hit me.  I’m your friend.”

            “I don’t know you.”

            He sighed, “My name is Adrian Kowalski, I’m twenty-five years old.  I’m still in college, trying to get a medical degree legit enough for me to get in the biggest hospital in New York which doesn’t seem to work…”

            “What are you talking about?” I interrupted.

            “I’m letting you know about me.”

            Before I could stop myself, I laughed.  I actually truly, uncontrollably laughed in the first time since… hell, since St. Henry’s.  I was laughing my ass off.

            Adrian awkwardly got off me and I felt his stare.  But I laughing too hard to care about it, I calmed and smiled, “Sorry, I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time… woo!”

            “I thought…”

            “That was good.”

            “Um…” he sounded awkward.

             “Continue.”

            “What?”

            “Continue, man.  Your life, or whatever.”

            “Um,” he chuckled, “I haven’t had a girlfriend, a real girlfriend in over two years.  I was born in Tennessee, thank God the accent faded away those years ago.  My best friend is Oscar McQueen, he’s as asshole…” he chuckled and cursed.

            “Don’t tell him I said that.”

            “Why would he even believe me?” I frowned when he didn’t reply, “My name is Adam Jones.  I’m from hot, sunny Phoenix, the capitol of Arizona.  I have no parents.  I’m an orphan and my last adoptive family hated me so much, they kicked me out soon as they could.”

            “I’m sorry.”

            “Don’t be.”

            It was silent.  He finally replied, “I’ll leave.”

            “Adrian?”

            “Hm?”

            “Stay out of my apartment.”

                                    Adrian’s POV

I left.  I stood in the hallway, looking as the lights fluttered passed the windows.  Thunder struck and lightning flashed again.  I gripped the cross around my neck.

            I’m sorry, Simon.

            I’m so sorry…

            I wish I could have taken your place.  I would trade the world just for that choice, or at least a chance.

            Why did this boy remind me of him?

            Just remember hearing Adam scream, I just ran.  I ran to save the wrongs I did the Simon.  I’m so sorry…

            Unlike the other time, when I heard Adam yelling again, I began to smile.

-<>-

Author's Note: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Some humor, give me some chedar for that humor!!!! LOL.  I'm random.  Love you!  Spread the love... and the carebears.  :D