[Part 3] Chapter Twenty-Three: Somniphobia - Fear of Sleep

Part 3: To be Fearsome

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot"

- Joni Mitchell: Big Yellow Cab

Chapter Twenty-Three: Somniphobia - Fear of Sleep

Adrian’s POV

            "The injury that impacted his head is more severe than we suspected."

            "How so?"

            "He has internal bleeding, it's not terrible but it's still incredible that he has showed no signs other than headaches and passing out."

            "Then can you stop the bleeding."

            "Yes."

            "Will you?"

            "It's the tissue around the brain, if he gets the surgery, we have to open the skull and get a specific type of doctor.  Not only is this procedure dangerous, it is expensive.  I don't think your medical insurance can cover it."

            "How much?"

            "Sir, with your pay I highly doubt you can afford it."

            "I asked how much."

            "Forty grand.  I'm sorry, sir, but the best advice I can give you is to pull the plug and not give your friend the opportunity to feel more pain."

            "So you're telling me to kill my friend just because I don't have money?  A serial killer seems to have more sympathy is in little finger than you, doctors, do!  Didn't you have some kind of oath to protect and save everyone you can?!"

            "Sorry it's so upsetting, sir, but I can't help you without the money."

            "I'll get the money."

            "No bank will give out that big of a loan."

            "I will find a way to get the money."

            Forty grand.  Four-zero-zero-zero-zero.  I thought about it, it was ironic, right?  I think Adam once mentioned that it was his lucky number.  But, as it turned out, to be the number that will cost him his life.

            "The last thing."

            I looked up.  I wondered for a moment; how long was I staring at the tiled floor?  I gulped and glanced at the place where I heard the voice.  I bit my lip but let the question slip out, "Did you say something?"

            Ethan was bedridden, his hair ruffled and messy.  The skin under his eyes was baggy and dark.  His skin was oily and pale and the skin on his fists were rubbed and irritated as if he constantly scratched at them.  He was slumped over his seat, his back arched and his head in his hands while his elbows leaned against his knees.  He looked up and his pink strained eyes connected with mine, "What?"  His voice was scratchy and strained.

            "I asked if you said something," I muttered.

            "Oh..." he looked around and seemed to be struggling to be remembering something.  I guess I could understand that, he and I haven't slept well since Adrian had arrived at the hospital with the bad news.  He took a moment and sighed, "I think I said something along the lines of I couldn't see this coming."