Chapter Twenty-Eight: Mechanophobia - Fear of Machines

Boyxboy, bitches.

***

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Mechanophobia - Fear of Machines

Adrian’s POV

            Jesus, it's hot.  I looked around before pushing my hair back.  It was summertime now.  The middle of goddamn May.  It was killing me.

            "Adrian, can you grab the last box?

           "Um, yeah," I hurried to the truck and grabbed the last cardboard box full of liquor.  I steadied myself as I heard the clanging of glass against glass rattle inside.  I sighed loudly as I hurried inside of the bar.  Joseph Colby looked up from the bar and stared as I walked in and put the box with the others.

            "Oh, crap, it's hot," Miley muttered, pushing her blond hair away from her sweaty forehead, "I'm dying."

            I smiled.  Miley was always dramatic, ever since high school.  But even more so since she confronted Nick about him acting distant.  Nick asked for a break and Miley broke his nose.  He has currently been sulking in his apartment in the last two weeks.

            "The AC's working now, I don't know what the hell you're talking about," Joey said, looking annoyed under his big framed glasses.  Miley didn't look the least bit intimated by the big man despite Joey being a six foot nine by three foot two Russian man who looks as if he could chew a diamond in half.  But then again, Miley's been working with the guy ever since he got the club two years ago.

            "It is?  Are you sure?" she looked exasperated.

            "I paid the electricians a fortune to fix the damn thing so yes, I'm sure."

            "Maybe he scammed you," she replied.

            "Then I'll find him and kill him."

            I slowly turned my head to them and raised my eyebrow.

            "I'm not serious, Adrian, it's a joke.  As in, ha-ha," he looked mildly amused before turning to Miley and sighing, "I'll go check, okay?"

            She smiled and nodded.  Joey grumbled as he walked into the back room to check the AC.  Miley sighed, "So, how do you like the job?"

            "It's nice," I simply put.

            "Think you'll stay?"

            I looked at her and shrugged, "Guess so."

            She was quiet for a long moment before she sighed, "How are you doing?"

            I tried not to smile, "You're way too concerned, I'm fine.  I'm here, aren't I?"

            "I know you've gotten your life in order.  For once you have a reasonably furnished and clean apartment, you spend time with your friends, and you got a job.  And aren't you doing college classes online?  You know how big of a step that is?  And though I am proud of you, I don't think your... happy.  You might smile but you're not happy," she said it so quickly, so prepared, that I wondered for a moment how long she bottled that in.  Even though I was a little flattered that she was concerned, I think she should be.

            "Actually I'm okay."

            "What about Adam?"

            "He's... okay."