Chapter 27

Chapter 27

The final placing of pieces

If Sherlock remember correctly, today was the last day of exams. It had been just over two weeks since the first day. Since he had had to run from the school. Came to stay in the forest clearing. His days had been taking up with thinking, formulating plans. A few phone calls and texts. And the night visits from John. Those were what Sherlock always looked forward to. A break from all the thinking, the stress. It let his brain just chill for a moment. Stopped it from speaking.

Now he had one final thing to do. Before tomorrow. Tomorrow, the day when it would all happen. When the game would end. Sherlock sure hoped he had played his pieces right. Because if not... well, he didn’t want to dwell on that.

It had taken a quick text conversation with John to find out what he wanted. Where Molly would be that morning. It was good that she didn’t have any exams, being the year below them all, or Sherlock would have been stuffed. Even luckier that she had a free period. Not that Sherlock had known this beforehand or anything...

Sherlock quite easily slipped into the school unseen. Everyone was either in lessons, taking exams or doing work during free periods. Even the teachers weren’t out and about. Anyone that was was very easy to avoid. People were so simple. It didn’t take any brainpower to guess what they were doing.

There she was. Exactly were John had said she was going to be. In the biology lab, at a microscope. Probably doing extra work for Biology. Sherlock didn’t care. He really couldn’t care less about what she was doing.

“Molly,” he whisper hissed, edging over to stand next to the brunette.

“Oh, Sherlock, aren’t you, I thought,” Molly stammered, blinking rather rapidly as she looked up at him. Sherlock tried not to sigh. This was going to be harder than he thought. “Em, do you want anything?”

“Yes,” Sherlock replied quite bluntly. “I was talking to John... I hear you’re quite well liked around the school. With both teachers and pupils.”

“Y... yes, I suppose I am,” Molly murmured. “Why does that matter?”

Sherlock took a deep breath, mustering quite a lot of courage to speak just four words. “I need your help.” Molly nodded, closing the door so no one would walk in. Then they talked.

“Be careful, Sherlock,” Molly’s voice was quiet, but reasonably confident as the tall boy walked towards the door.

“I’ll try,” Sherlock promised, though he wasn’t really sure why. That would be hard to do if what he thought was going to happen actually happened. And he never promised anybody anything. Ever. He left before Molly could say anything else. He could feel her gaze on his back as he left. Felt guilty. Because she knew what he was going to do, knew how he felt. She had somehow guessed his emotions while they spoke. Sherlock found it unnerving. Normally he was so good at hiding them. He would have to be tonight. When he was with John. Because he couldn’t tell him anything. Not, he couldn’t tell him a single thing.

Sherlock shook his head slightly to get away those thoughts. He had to think. Make sure everything was ready. Back to the forest clearing then. Sherlock had grown attached to the area. It was very peaceful. Very few sounds to interrupt his flow of thought. These were what Sherlock let himself get lost in as he sat at the base of the tree. It was early afternoon when he decided to do something else. 

Sherlock pulled out his mobile and pulled up a recent message he had. From JM.

You ready? –JM was what it read. Sherlock was finally ready to reply.

Yes, I’m ready –SH

When? –JM

Tomorrow –SH

Details? –JM

Tomorrow –SH

Are you scared, Sherlock? Because falling is just like flying except the destination is more permanent. –JM

Sherlock shuddered slightly at those words. It really backed up what he feared. What was going to happen. What the fall was. He suddenly felt doubt creep into his. Mind. Doubt that he wasn’t well enough prepared. That his plan wouldn’t work out.

No, he couldn’t think of that. He needed a distraction. Soon. Sherlock frowned as he stuffed his phone into his pocket and set off. It must be late afternoon now. The halls would be swarming with students. Most would have just finished an exam. Hopefully no one would be outside. A damp smell filled the air and dark clouds loomed, suggesting rain. That should put anyone off. Let Sherlock get to the building unseen, at least.

He knew how to get in. Why hadn’t he thought of that before? The room windows weren’t locked and they would be easy enough to open from the outside. Sherlock smirked as he found the one he wanted. Carefully he opened it and managed to squeeze himself through. Shutting it behind him.

The place had changed since he had been there. His desk... was cleared of all stuff. Actually, his side of the room was tidy. It was strange. John’s desk was still covered in clutter. He’d obviously been cramming in some last minute revision last night. Before his final exam. Sherlock felt a smile tug the corner of his lips. He hoped John came soon. He’d just have to wait and hope no one else walked in.