Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Dinner dates? Please no.

“New boy?” Anderson sneered, gaze darting to the figure trailing John. John just nodded slightly, sitting at the table his friends we at and dumping tray down. Dinner was a rather informal affair at St Bart’s. Sherlock plopped himself next to John promptly beginning to pick at his meagre salad. Ignoring those around him.

John tried not to frown. He had known the younger boy for an hour at most and was already concerned. Sherlock had seemed so lonely... still did, not to mention the smoking and pitiful diet. Not the healthiest thing for a fifteen year old.

A rather awkward silence had descended upon the small group. Everyone quietly ate their food, a rather good meal. John had found the biggest steak there, piled his plate with mashed potato and peas and was no digging in. He loved food. Had a massive attitude.

“Mmm... this is good.” John mumbled as he shovelled food into his mouth, trying to make conversation. Lestrade nodded, arching an eyebrow slightly. Anderson and Sally were watching Sherlock, identical sneers on their faces. Molly’s eyes were on Sherlock too. But it was a look of barely concealed adoration shining in her eyes. John felt a twinge of pity. From what he observed he doubted Sherlock would notice nor show any interest. In anyone.

“Who’s he?” Lestrade spoke quietly to John, nodding in Sherlock’s direction. Sherlock probably heard but showed no sign of it.

“Sherlock Holmes,” John replied with a thin smile. He nudged Sherlock slightly in attempt to get him to look up from the others. “Sherlock, this is Greg Lestrade, Sally Donovan, Anderson and Molly Hooper.” Sherlock gave a mere nod before looking back down at his food, brow furrowed. Molly smiled prettily at him though this quickly faded when she gained no attention.

“Sherlock?” Disdain filtered through Sally’s voice. “Oh, I heard about him. A friend was in his old school. You know he’s been expelled twice. This is his last chance. He blew up a chemistry lab and was found experimenting on drugs.” Anderson was looking at Sherlock in the way you would regard a dangerous animal, pretty much. It sickened John. Who cared about Sherlock’s past? Only the future was important. “I also heard that he shows no emotions. A psychopath.”

Sherlock’s gaze snapped up, icy blue. Cold. “I’m not a psychopath. I’m a highly functioning sociopath, do your research!”

That silenced them. Silent laughter shook through John’s shoulders, earning a confused glance from Sherlock. Who instantly went back to eating.

“He’s a strange one,” Lestrade spoke calmly though there was a certain look of amusement in his grey-green eyes. John shrugged, a motion saying he didn’t know Sherlock very well.

“He’s fifteen and in our year.”

“Really? James won’t be please,” Lestrade nodded with a smile. He didn’t like James either. At the mention of James Sherlock looked up again, eyes narrowed. Almost curious. John tilted his head, turning to glance at Sherlock.

“James Brook,” he stated, guessing what Sherlock was curious about. “Self proclaimed genius. Sixteen and in his last year at school, younger than normal like you. He’s a troublemaker. Those that want to cause trouble but not get caught go to him for advice.” John watched Sherlock carefully. He looked almost excited.

“He seems like an... interesting character,” Sherlock chose his words carefully.

“He is. And you’ll most likely meet him in class tomorrow.”