Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It’s just a list

The first few weeks of school crept by slowly. John plodded though the days. Sherlock was a constant annoyance yet John found his feelings for the younger boy were strange. All mixed up and confusing him. He would sort them out later. But he liked to think that he and Sherlock were friends. Even if it was an unusual, uneasy friendship. After all Sherlock was... Sherlock.

“John!” Sherlock practically barged into their dorm, coat flowing out behind him. The teacher’s had given up telling him to take it off. John thought it looked rather good on him...

“Not now, I’m doing homework.”

“This is important.”

“More imp-”

“Yes.” Sherlock stormed over, slapping a piece of paper down in front of John. “Look.”

“What about it?” John frowned, eyes narrowed at the paper. A list of some sort. With names and items. “It’s just a-”

“On contraire, it is not! You always see but you do not observe, John.” Oh brilliant. Sherlock was in one of his extra strange moods. John wished the fifteen year old would stop trying to be detective sometimes.

“It’s a list of all the missing or possibly stolen items.” Oh look he was continuing. “I crossed out all those that were returned or found. They were only four left. For each year, in the past four years.” John looked closer and saw that this was in fact true. Curious.

“And what sparked your sudden search for this list? And your interest in stolen items?” John looked at Sherlock sceptically. Sherlock just shrugged.

“I was thinking. You know how Irene had those bar cuffs go missing a week ago, or so she claims. Then Molly couldn’t find her necklace? Well the disappearances were to close together to be a coincidence. So I decided to look into it.”

“Of course you did,” John rolled his eyes, which had no effect on the tall boy standing impatiently beside him.

“Well, go on. Take a closer look. See if you can crack the code.” John leant forward, scrunching his eyes up so he could see the words more clearly.

STUDENT

ITEM REPORTED MISSING

DATE

RHIAN LANCASTER