Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Budding Friendship? Possibly...

“Sherlock?” Sherlock arched an eyebrow as he quickly scanned the other boy. He was seventeen, obviously, so in the same year as him. He wore the set school uniform along with a dark navy v-necked sweater well within the guidelines. A stickler? No, Sherlock didn’t think so. Just someone who was trying to get by. Unnoticed if possible. There was something about him that was likeable. Maybe it was the slight twinkle in his bright blue eyes. Or the slight quirk of his lips; a smile when he greeted Sherlock. Actually greeted him rather than jumping to conclusions and calling him a freak. It was strange... Sherlock generally didn’t get good first impressions of people.

“Yes, that is my name.” Sherlock kept his tone curt. Cold. Emotionless. John laughed, causing Sherlock to tilt his head. What?

“What is so funny?”

“Just... never mind.” John smiled brightly, moving over to the free bed. Sherlock frowned slightly, turning back to his laptop so he was no longer looking at the strangely handsome youth who he, for some reason, wanted to befriend. This caused his frown to deepen. Why would he want to be friends with anyone? He shook his head, eyes narrowed as he typed a few words onto the current blog entry he was working on. ‘423 types of tobacco ash.’ An interesting subjects

“So why are you joining a new school at seventeen? And St Bart’s of all the ones in the world.” Brilliant. His roommate, John, was trying to make conversation. Definitely not what he wanted.

“Fifteen, actually. I’m fifteen.” No answer to the question. Sherlock would rather avoid that subject. At all costs.

“Really? Why are you here then? In this dorm. You know... with me. I’m seventeen.”

“I’m ahead of most my age,” Sherlock snapped back in an attempt to close the discussion. John didn’t the hint and tried to keep up their ‘chat.’

“Really? You must be somewhat of a genius. Youngest in our year and all. James won’t be pleased.” There was a slight snigger and Sherlock imagined that John was smirking at the moment. He didn’t turn around to look though. Only stopped typing to ponder who James was. Obviously a dislikeable boy. Or something. John didn’t seem to be the one to hate for no reason, however...

“You have any family?” John breached the silence that had fallen upon them with Sherlock’s thinking. Rather annoying. Especially with the topic of choice. Sherlock had no wish to discuss... that thing. It would be easy enough to steer the subject away from that.

“How’s your older sister?” Sherlock’s question obviously shocked John. Good. Move it away from asking about Sherlock’s family.

“How did you...”

“It’s obvious. Your school uniform is obviously handed down. At least you jumper and tie.” He nodded slightly, turning around in his chair to look at John. The look of shock was to be expected. No disgust... yet. It would come. John made to speak but Sherlock cut him off before he could say so much as a word.

“How did I know she’s a girl? Well your trousers are newer suggesting that they had to be bought for you as girls here wear skirts. Leading to the conclusion that you have an older sister.”

Silence followed his explanation. Sherlock kept his eyes on John, picking up his reactions. Only complete and utter shock showed. Strange.

“Wow... that was absolutely brilliant! How did you do that?” What? Surprise flashed across Sherlock’s haze though it quickly disappeared. Once again replaced by an icy wall. Which could not be thawed by John’s smile.

“I observe.” A truthful answer. If a short one.

“Still no everyone can just do that by observing. I was right, you are a genius!” John chatted away as he began to unpack, placing his clothes in the small chest of drawers beside his bed. Sherlock noted how carefully wrapped the photographs he place on the surface had been. Strange... the other boy must be close to his family. What would that be like, Sherlock wondered.

“Yeh, I guess.” He grumbled as an almost reply to the other boy. As he turned back to his laptop a familiar feeling began to creep into his mind before gradually filling his entire body.

He needed one now.

Scrambling off his chair in a frantic motion he darted towards his suitcase. He tore through his clothes to find the cunningly concealed bundle. So that Mycroft, on his Sherlock search duty, didn’t have a chance to find it. Fumbling with his lighter he felt relief run through him as he sucked on his cigarette, then exhaled. He wouldn’t need another till tomorrow. He was rather proud of getting down to two a day.

Ah, there it was. The look of disgust had arrived! Well almost. Was there also... concern? No, couldn’t be. Just Sherlock’s imagination. He tried to ignore John as he exhaled again. Feeling a slight nag of something. Guilt? He wasn’t sure.

“You... stop it! You can’t smoke in here! Mrs Hudson will blow. Not to mention, it’s, well... you know, you’re underage, so it’s illegal and all.” John managed to get this out head facing away from the fumes. Sherlock rolled his eyes and took a few more breaths before stubbing it out. The feeling nagging him fluctuated slightly. What was it?

“Happy?” John nodded, concern flashing across his eyes. Again. How strange.

A sudden loud ringing echoed from outside the corridor causing John to jump off the bed.

“Dinner!”