Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Sociopath being social? More like grumpy

“You hear about Tom’s murder?” Lestrade was instantly questioning John as he sat down at their normal table for dinner.

“Of course I did, who hasn’t?” John mumbled out as he began eating. Boy was he starving. Crime solving was hard work. Especially when it involved listening to Sherlock. Which it, unfortunately, did.

“They took Jim, Irene and Sebastian in for questioning,” Lestrade smirked. There was no love shared between and them and John’s friendship group.

“That’s because Sebastian did it and Jim and Irene almost definitely know something about it,” Sherlock commented as he sat down, finally gracing them with his presence. It seemed he had a decent amount of food for once. Good.

“How do you know that, freak?” Sally sneered. John was surprised that Anderson and her still sat at this table. Considering they both expressed their hate for Sherlock to anyone that would listen.

“Because they let me inspect the body,” Sherlock retorted smugly.

“Ew, you’re such a psychopath!” At that Sally stood, stalking away to find another table to sit at. Anderson followed promptly.

“Sociopath,” Sherlock murmured, rolling his eyes. John tried not to sigh. Truthfully it was a relief to no longer have Sally and Anderson there. They were just so annoying and infuriating. Got John all riled up.

“Don’t pay attention to them, they’re still annoyed after New Year’s Eve,” Lestrade chuckled. “Where you really allowed to look at the body? They wouldn’t let me. But I did get to ask the Detective Inspector some questions which was interesting.” Lestrade grinned widely. It was common knowledge that the job he aimed for was Detective Inspector.

“Yes I really was allowed to look at the body,” Sherlock replied sharply, quickly eating. Obviously wanting to get out of the dining room as soon as possible.

“Sherlock thinks that it’s something more than just a murder,” John put in. “Something bigger. That there’s some criminal mastermind behind it.”

“A mystery, huh? Mind if I help?” Lestrade looked so earnest. “It would be a great experience.”

“Sure, I don’t see why not,” John grinned. Lestrade was a good friend so he might as well help.

“No,” Sherlock scowled, shooting John a glare. “I work alone.” With that he got up and stormed off. John groaned. Sherlock had been in such a good mood earlier due to the murder (as disturbing as that was). Ah well, let him grump.

“Sorry about him, you’re welcome to help,” John laughed lightly and without humour. “Welcome to the Sociopath Society.”

“It has a name?” Lestrade chuckled, shaking his head.

“Indeed.”

“I like the name,” Molly put forward, finally deciding to speak. John had almost forgotten that she was there. She was such a quiet creature.

“You do? Sherlock thought of it. He’s the Sociopath and I’m society supposedly.”

“That makes complete and utter sense,” Lestrade confirmed with a smirk.

“Well, I’d better go check that Mr Sociopath is ok,” John smile as he stood. If he found Sherlock in their room smoking or something sparks were going to fly. “See you guys tomorrow.” With a smile he left.

“Sherlock?” John spoke rather cautiously as he entered their shared room. No reply. He sighed at the sight of Sherlock curled up on his bed, facing the wall grumpily. At least he wasn’t smoking. The nicotine patches seemed to be working for now.

“Fine, be that way,” John snorted. He placed his suitcase on his bed and promptly began to unpack. That done he got to work studying.

Yes, studying. The joys. But it was necessary what with practice exams in a month. Or was it a few weeks? Anyway they were soon.

The massive biology textbook came out firs and soon John’s notes were spread all over the desk. Brown furrowed John delved into learned what he had to.

A rather irritating beeping began to interrupt the much appreciated silence. The space in between this noise was filled by the clicking of phone keys. After about ten minutes John’s concentration broke fully.

“Sherlock, who are you testing? I’m kind of trying to study!”

“Studying is boring!” Sherlock exclaimed, standing suddenly. “I am texting two people. I have had a short conversation with my brother requesting he looks up the possibilities of who JM could be and what the results of the interrogation were. And I just texted JM himself... oh look, a reply!” Sherlock grinned with the excitement of a small child being given sweets. John frowned slightly. John had just texted the man behind the murder and the thieveries. How was that smart in any way?

“What does it say?” John let curiosity get the better of him, trying not to worry as he turned to face his friend.

“Well I congratulated him on the clever code of his,” Sherlock began while typing a reply. “He replied congratulating me on cracking it before saying ‘the game is nearing its stunning conclusion, Sherlock. Are you ready?’ I don’t really get it.” Now that was a shock to hear him say that. “It has not really been a game. Only one murder and four items stolen.” Sherlock looked thoughtful. “I just replied with a ready for what?”

“Are you sure this is wise, Sherlock,” John frowned deeply and ran a hand through his hair. “You know, texting a murderer?”

“Wisdom has nothing to do with it, John!” Sherlock was pacing now as he awaited another text. “I will not rest until I get to the bottom of this.”

“Brilliant.” Sarcasm coated John’s voice. “Does that mean you’ll keep me up all night?”

“If that’s what it takes,” Sherlock looked like he was about to die of happiness when his phone buzzed. “The fall, Sherlock. The final problem.” Sherlock frowned as he read the message aloud. “What does that mean?”

“Don’t look at me,” John threw his hands up. “How would I know?”

Sherlock let out a cry of agitation before collapsing onto his bed. Silence. Thank God. John instantly went back to studying. No matter what Sherlock said it was important. Very important. This peace did not last, unfortunately. A loud rapping on the door was followed by it being open, breaking John’s concentration yet again.

“The police are arresting Sebastian on suspicion for murder!” Lestrade’s unmistakeable voice filled the room. He seemed almost excited and a tad breathless. From running obviously.

“Where?” Sherlock was up instantly.

“The entrance hall, they took him there. Jim almost had a fit!”

“This is great! I didn’t expect them to do it so quickly. The police aren’t as big idiots as I thought.”

“Hey, I’m joining the force one day!” Sherlock appeared to ignore him.

“You coming, John?” The self modelled detective was already heading for the door.

“I guess,” John sighed as he stood. He would come to keep Sherlock out of trouble.

Sherlock was out of the door in a flash and John reluctantly followed.