Chapter 17

Chapter 17

It’s my birthday?

John woke with a slight groan, rolling over and blinking the sleep out of his eyes. It was 8am. Why on earth had he woken up at 8am? Maybe it was excitement for the day. Probably.

Sitting up with a yawn John noticed the distinct absence of Sherlock. Brilliant, he hoped he hadn’t fallen asleep on the couch again. Unfortunately that was highly likely. He should probably go down and wake him. That was going to be fun... Sighing to himself John rolled out of bed and grabbed a parcel from under it. Then reluctantly he headed downstairs.

“Sherlock, wake up,” John spoke in a stage whisper, poking the younger boy on the nose. Sherlock was sprawled across the sofa with his hands pressed together under his chin. He’d obviously been deep in thought before drifting off into a deep slumber.

John continually poked Sherlock, eventually waking the other boy. Multicoloured eyes stared up at him, filled with mild annoyance and words formed on lips. John didn’t give him a chance to speak.

“Happy birthday!” John exclaimed brightly, grinning. Sherlock appeared shocked. Momentarily.

“It’s my birthday? How did you know that?”

“Indeed it is,” John chuckled. “Mycroft told me when he dropped off your stuff. We can do whatever you want today but we’re going out for dinner tonight.” Sherlock groaned. John just smirked, sitting down next to him.

“Yes, you have to come. Whether you want to or not.” John cut Sherlock off before he could complain. “Here, I got you something to wear.”

John watched eagerly as Sherlock delicately unwrapped his first present of the day. He appeared to be looking in disbelief as the shirt it revealed. John had picked it out specially knowing it would look good on the other boy.

“Well go on, try it on!” John insisted.

“If I must wear it,” Sherlock sighed. John knew he secretly liked it. As such he kept his eyes glued to Sherlock as the tall boy pulled the new shirt on (he slept topless).

“It looks perfect on you.” John struggled to keep his voice calm. And indeed it did. The shirt was perfectly moulded and a little too tight, the top few buttons left undone. And the colour. It was a deep purple, maybe a hint of pink there, that lit up his eyes. Complimented his appearance. Sherlock looked sexy in that purple shirt with his hair tousled from just waking. John just wanted to kiss him. But he couldn’t in case his family walked in. Harry wouldn’t let him forget it if she saw. Hypocritical considering she liked girls.

“Does it really?” John was sceptical causing John to chuckle. Sherlock didn’t understand how great he looked in that shirt.

“Really, you suit it,” John nodded with a grin. “Now, what do you want to do today?”

“Work on the case.” Sherlock’s reply was instant, drawing a groan from John. Really? Of all the things he could choose to do? Trust Sherlock.

“Fine but you have to come to dinner. Promise?”

“Promise.”

John was quite surprised when Sherlock didn’t complain about going to dinner. Not one bit. Then again they had spent the whole day cooped up in John’s room pondering over the message Sherlock had got. And still nothing came to fruition from their labours.

“Well this is nice,” John smiled as they were led into a nice little Italian restaurant and towards a two person table. It was in a corner, a nice secluded area, giving them a bit of privacy. John liked that. Sherlock probably did too.

Boy did Sherlock look good... The purple shirt... John was fast thinking of it as the purple shirt of sex. Because he just looked so goddamn sexy in that thing! The rest of his outfit was normal for him. Black trousers, black shoes... definitely normal. And his smile... though small the smile he flashed John as they sat made John’s heart beat all the faster. It wasn’t helped by the candle flickering on the table between them or the general romantic atmosphere.

“It’s not too bad,” Sherlock’s reply eventually came as he flicked through the menu.

“Trust you to say that,” John rolled his eyes. “So, sixteen and going to university in half a year. Pretty impressive.” Was that a light blush on Sherlock’s cheeks? John thought he would’ve gotten used to the praise by now.

“A whole year before Mycroft,” Sherlock pointed out smugly, managing to stay composed. John shook his head with a snort.

“What are you doing at university? Wait let me guess, forensic science?”

“Very good, John, you’re beginning to observe,” Sherlock was half teasing. Good. He was beginning to relax. “And you are doing medicine, planning to become a doctor... and maybe join the army.” Sherlock frowned. Was that... concern? Fear? “Why would you join the army, John?”

“Because my dad wants me to,” John murmured. He was thankful for the interruption in the form of a waitress coming to take their orders. The army was a rather... touchy subject.

They ordered quickly, already knowing what they wanted. For Sherlock it was a salad (as normal) and water, for John lasagne and lemonade. John had the feeling that the younger boy was only ordering to placate him.

“I brought your presents,” John smiled softly. Sherlock looked shocked, an expression John was getting used to. Maybe it was the thought of getting more than one gift. Poor Sherlock... he obviously wasn’t used to this kind of thing on his birthday. Having it properly celebrated.

“But I already got a present,” Sherlock frowned, his tone rather stiff. Eyes narrowed.

“Well I got you more. I also have some from Molly and Lestrade.” John began to rummage in the pockets of his coat. Luckily the presents were small and his coat pockets were big. “Here you go.” John handed over the parcels. All were labelled; who they were from.

“Well... These are unnecessary... I don’t need...”

“Just open them, Sher.” John cut him off yet again. Sherlock nodded slightly. He picked up the envelope first, from Lestrade, and carefully opened it. A £10 voucher. No reaction. Then the rectangular, larger parcel from Molly. A book on forensic science. A slight smile as he looked it over. Obviously an interesting book. Then the final package. Rather small, it was another gift from John. Who worried about what Sherlock would think of it. He opened it with great care, bringing the item out to inspect it. It was a rectangular piece of black plastic. Sherlock pulled the two sides of it to reveal a magnifying glass in between. He snapped it shut.

“I thought it’d be handy,” John smiled. “I also... got you some nicotine patches, which are at home, to try and stop your smoking habit.

“Thank you, John.” It was a genuine thanks followed by Sherlock leaning over to hiss him. Tonight couldn’t get much better.