Chapter 30- Daniel

Daniel’s pov.

She's gone. Everything around me seemed to fade to nothingness. From the alarm blaring through the building to the stomps of guards looking for the intruders that they won't find to the worried rants of Xavier looking over my injuries. It's like none of it is there.

All I know is that it's over. You blew it, Danny.

"Daniel? Daniel. Daniel, are you paying attention to me?" The worried voice of Xavier breaks through my daze.

"What, oh. Yeah. Sure."

He sighs.

"As I was saying, your fine. Just a little bruising. That guy must've been pretty strong. I wonder who he was"

"It was one of my sons friends." Don't ask me how I knew. I just did. Maybe it was the long black hair. Or perhaps the voice. I have been studying my son and his friends for a long time.

"I think his name was Tate Daikon."

"What? Is he super strong or something?"

"No. He memorizes everything and then he can replicate it. He's a shape-shifter."

"Oh. That explains the outfit."

I nod.

"What's the matter?" Asks Xavier, his worry replaced by concern.

"Are you in pain? I could go get some pain killers." He moves to get up but I pull him back and hug him. He's tense at first but then he relaxes and hugs me back.

"No. No. That's not it. It's just...” I say into his soft hair.

"Just what?"

"I need her to protect my son. Now that I lost her, the boss is going to kill him." Tears start to form in my eyes.

Xavier jumps up.

"No way! There's got to be something we can do!"

I shake my head. But Xavier doesn't quit.

"Maybe we could...” He's silent.

I look up and am shocked at what I see.

"X-Xavier?" I walk up to him and wave my hands in front of his face. Nothing. He just stands there still as a statue. 

"Don't bother." A deep voice says from behind me.

"I've altered time and space. He can't see or hear you."

I turn around and face the man that started everything.

I turn to face the boss.

"Hello Daniel. Long time no see. How are you?"

I just nod, unable to find my voice.

"Hmm. Daniel, it appears as if you have let me down. Where is the girl?"

"T-they took her." I spoke in a quiet voice.

"They took her, oh? Well, you see Daniel, we had a deal. I get the girl, your son lives. But it looks like I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on little Alex, aren't I?"

"N-no! Please! I'll do anything!" I beg.

"Oh. I know you will. Cause now, the stakes are higher. You've grown a little liking for this young man, haven't you? I wonder what would happen if I just slit him open right here." He draws his finger over Xavier's neck. He continues to walk around the room at a leisurely pace when he notices something on the ground.

"What do we have here?" He bends down to pick it up.

Looking through the discarded file, he smiles a wicked smile.

"Looks like doctor boy just saved you from whole lot of pain. I've gotten everything I need from the girl. Now. I have one last mission for you. Mess it up and I will not hesitate to torture both of them." He whispers something in my ear with his rancid breath and then moves back. 

"Don't fail me again, Daniel," is the last thing he says as he disappears back into space.

"-convince him to give you a second chance. Or...." I cut Xavier off by engulfing him in a hug.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you." I mutter through my tears.

"What happened? Did I miss something?" He asks, confused by my actions.

I quickly fill him in on what happened. 

I watch carefully as the color drains from his face.

"Don't worry." I say. 

"I won't let anything hurt you."