Chapter Sixty ۞ Captive

Valeriana ran up to Gavin with the boy tailing her but stopped short when she was halfway. He had confronted Alovia while she was bound and laying on the floor. People were staring at her in ridicule, as though disgusted by her thrashing and screaming.

"Countess Alovia Sidar." He announced, his voice deep and unrecognizable.

"I will have you all executed, you worthless commoners!" She exclaimed. "You barbarians, good-for-nothings! Let me go this instant! Once this hideout is found, I will have this place burned down to the ground!"

"Your power and position matters not in here." He then waved to the guys holding her down and said, "Take her away."

"Gavin!" She exclaimed. It only occurred to her after a few moments that she said the wrong name and tried to recover instead. "Where is Gavin? Where have you taken him?!" She exclaimed, swallowing heavily as she walked forward.

Ooh. Almost slipped.

Gavin almost froze in place when he heard his name being called, but smoothly turned to meet her eyes. "Omar, why have you allowed this girl out of the tent? Did I not tell you to keep her in place?" He approached.

Alovia eyed Valeriana as she was dragged away. Valeriana watched Falcon make his way towards her and stop when he was but a step away.

"You've got to listen to me." She whispered in a low voice, her eyes widened with urgency. "Something is wrong. If you say the Guardian Beasts have been acting strangely, then that means they may have been affected by the infection."

"What nonsense are you talking about? If this is your way of tricking me—"

"No, I'm not." She firmly insisted. "I'm not tricking you. It's true. There is a riddle about this. From front to back will point a star. To the left and right its sweeping starts. When the head turns black like coal, the moon will bleed to our goal. Obtain the cross, face a loss. Break the shield, start the wield. Rubies will open by the morning light."

"And you are saying?"

"We thought the directions said north, south, east, and west, but if my hunches are correct, we are wrong." She breathed out nervously as she played with the ropes that bound her wrists. The chaffing hurt a lot, but she was in no position to complain. "Preluresia went first. Arlandia might've been next."

"This is none of my—"

"It is your business!" She practically stomped her feet. "You care so much about the people of this continent—the less fortunate ones. If you don't do something, I don't know what'll happen. You aren't stupid but you probably don't know what Guardian Beasts can do—much less demon Guardian Beasts!"

"So what are you saying?"

"Do something!" She exclaimed. "Get these people out of here!"

"I can't do that." He said, walking off.

"Why not?!" Valeriana followed him and Omar strictly tailed her. "I'm telling the truth!"

"With no basis. I have no time to listen to the words of someone I do not trust."

"Well then, Corvan will tell you." She said. "But, hey, newsflash! He isn't here."

"Omar." Gavin impatiently turned to the boy. "Silence this girl. If she does not quit badgering me, I will have her punished severely. You would not want to end up harmed, Valeriana. Stop testing my patience."

"Jerk!" She exclaimed. "You people are jerks! You and Corvan! No wonder you're cou—"

Gavin gave her a glare.