Chapter Nineteen ۞ Special Dinner

Valeriana was a little confused what to do afterwards, but it was such a wonder when everyone were called for their evening meal. With the way things were going, the girl had guessed there wouldn't be any dinner.

Keelan was the first to arrive in the dining hall. That fact wasn't such a surprising one, except that there seemed to be more food than usual. As though there was a feast and a moment to be celebrated, the table was ridden with savory dishes that gave it a buffet sort of impression.

"What happened?" Aneeka wondered, hesitantly stepping inside.

"Is it someone's birthday?" Tamara questioned, looking between her friends.

"Mine." Said Brindon as he appeared, a streak of paint across his cheeks and spots of stains visible on his shirt.

"Yours? Happy--"

"Joke." He quickly added, his face as impassive as ever.

Tamara pushed Brindon playfully. "What happened to you?"

"Painting."

"I see."

"You were painting?" Valeriana asked, perking up at the mention.

The twelfth answered with no words but a single nod.

"We still hadn't done our agreement from before. I wonder when we'll get to do it." She whispered, thinking back on their conversation when they first met. "It's as though things always happen . . . we're perpetually busy."

"Mm." Brindon nodded again. "Next time."

Corvan's expression was not as shocked when he arrived. His face looked a lot calmer than before. "Did something happen? Where's Charles?"

"I assume he's still in the kitchen finishing up." Rowe informed as he came behind the others. "Why are you all standing in the doorway?"

They all began to sit down before the table with palpable hesitations.

"He didn't even call for me like the usual." Valeriana noticed.

The rest of the Twelve arrived, filling up the chairs until only one was left vacant. With one glance, everyone knew Charles was the only one they were waiting for. Soon after that, the fourth arrived fully geared in his master chef outfit.

"Pardon my late arrival." He said, tugging on the ribbon of his apron and pulling it off to reveal his casual wear underneath.

"Why so many food?" Elfre questioned.

"I bet on a thousand diamonds from the Aetherian continent that even Keelan cannot finish this all." Raziel's flamboyancy was overflowing as usual.

"Wy cwan!" The boy exclaimed, his mouth stuffed with the broasted chicken before him.

"Stop eating! We haven't started, yet!" Genevieve exclaimed.

"I seem to have went overboard a bit." Charles stated, walking past the eleventh to sink on his chair. Ignoring Keelan's horrible manners, he waved towards the table and said, "What are you waiting for? If you don't start now, you won't finish eating this in time for bed."

They all dove in and ignored the oddity of his actions, grabbing for a piece of each dish laid out before them. During that moment, not even the strict demon blinked aghast at their horrendous table etiquette.

"You managed to cook all of this by yourself?" Valeriana had stuffed herself with some mashed potatoes. The consistency had been creamy and . . . mushy. It was tasty.

"I did want your assistance . . ." Charles trailed off. "But I figured I wanted to do it alone."

"Well, you did awesome!" Tamara exclaimed, digging into the white-sauce covered pasta.