Initials

Sometimes I think parents should be cautious of what they name their children. My belief is that it has a huge impact on the child’s life.

Take me for example.

My name is Samantha Adrianna Donovan. My initials are SAD. And my life? Well, I was shy, socially awkward, and didn’t have many friends. I spent my nights and weekends by myself. I had a sad life.

My brother’s name was Mickey Anthony Donovan. MAD. Mickey had serious anger issues.

What were my parents thinking?

And what were they thinking when they decided to have us move to a new state? Sure, it was for my dad’s job but…a new school? I barely had friends in my old one! This was going to be a miserable day.

My alarm exploded in my ear and I shut it off and sat up slowly, rubbing my tired eyes. I forced myself out of bed and did my morning routine before getting dressed.

I made my way downstairs where my mom was whistling happily as she pulled toast out of the toaster. “Mom, shut up!” Mickey growled. He wasn’t a morning person. My mom crossed her arms. “Shut up isn’t very nice Mickey.” He glared and took a bite of toast.

I thanked my mom as I took my toast and began to eat it. “You two better get going! Don’t want to be late on your first day!” She was so excited. Mickey stood up and slung his bag over his shoulder. “Let’s go Sam,” he said.

Mickey and I went out to his car and drove off towards school. “You nervous?” he asked. I nodded. “Yea,” I said quietly.

He offered me a comforting smile. “You’ll be alright.” Mickey and I were pretty close. “Thanks Mickey,” I said honestly. He smiled wider as we pulled into the parking lot and got out.

We walked into the school together and over to the main office. “Ah! The new students, Mickey and Samantha I presume?” a woman asked with a smile. We nodded. “I will be right back!” she said and got up.

Mickey and I stood awkwardly until she returned with a boy and a girl. “Mickey Donovan, this is Michael Taylor. Samantha Donovan, this is Quinn Murphy.” Quinn smiled at me and I shyly smiled back.

“Quinn and Michael will be showing you around today and bringing you to your classes. You may go.” Mickey pat me on the back before he walked over to Michael. Quinn came over to me.

“Hi! I’m Quinn.” “Um…I’m Sam,” I said, hating my life at that moment. I was so socially awkward. It was horrid.

She chuckled. “Shy?” I nodded. “It’s alright. I used to be the same way! Now come on; let’s go!”

I followed her out of the main office and down the hall. “Now, the kids here can be nice but some are nasty. I’ll try to help you out with that. You can sit with me at lunch.” “Thanks,” I said with a slight blush.

She offered me a comforting smile as we walked. “Quinn!” A boy ran over to Quinn. He was quite gorgeous, I must say. He had longish brown hair with his ear pierced and foggy blue eyes.

He had a slight tan and was wearing brown shorts that hung past his knees with a red shirt with black sleeves and Vans. He was wearing a slouch beanie.

“What do you want?” Quinn asked curiously. He gave her a grin. “Did you do your geometry homework?” She glared. “I’m showing someone around Brad. Go away!” Brad turned to me.

“Oh, hi,” he said and stuck out his hand. “I’m Bradley Davis.” I awkwardly took his hand and felt myself blushing. “I’m Sam Donovan.” He released my hand.

“Go away Brad!” Quinn said, fixing him with a mean look. He laughed. “See ya around Sam Donovan,” he said with a wink before taking off down the hall.

Quinn sighed. “Stay away from Brad. He’s bad news.” I gave her a curious look. “He’s a man whore. The second biggest in school, actually.” I nodded and we walked again.

Quinn made a disgusted face. “What?” I asked curiously. “And here comes the biggest man whore.”

I looked over and saw an emo looking guy. He had long black hair with snake bits, a nose ring, and plugs. He was wearing black skinny jeans with a black sweatshirt. He was walking with a kid who looked similar.

“That’s Eli O’Dell. He’s just…ugh. Disgusting. A pervert, a man whore, he does drugs, and he drinks. Stay away from him!”

Eli’s eyes traveled up and towards us. They landed on Quinn and he grinned. His eyes, an incredible blue-green, landed on me. They showed…

Interest?