Love, Elvis: Chapter 13

Love, Elvis: Chapter 13

  " You seriously scared the living shit out of me, D. You have no idea..." Elvis said looking into space, sitting at the end of the hospital bed. I nodded and a sharp pain hit my side making me gasp. His head snapped at me, "What is it? Do you need a nurse?" I shook my head no and he relaxed. He sighed, "Damn, Diane. What will I ever do about you?" He looked at me with very tired eyes and I smiled, making him smile back, "Oh I love your smile. I missed it" I tired to speak but no words would come out, "I think it's time for rest. You don't need anymore stress. I love you, Diane. Everything is alright from here on out" I smiled. He stood up and kissed my cheek, caressing my face, trying to make it last, " I love you" I whispered. Then he left my side to the couch.

  * * *

16 years later. I'm now 36 and the year is 1979. I married my husband, Aaron Crawford on July 8th, 1972, a year later we had our daughter Scarlet. Elvis and I had broken up shortly after the whole theft incident, then in 1977 he died of a drug overdose.

     My family and I decided to go on a trip to Graceland, Elvis' past home after he died. We walked in the front door and were welcomed by a vaguely familar face, "Welcome to Gracel-...Diane?" It was Joe. He had aged dramatically since the last time I had seen him, he was clearly approaching his 50's or so, " Oh Joe!" I laughed hugging him, "Diane! I can't believe it's you! We've missed you!" "So how's Kevin?" "He's great! He's hanging out in the kitchen, if you'd like to see him-" "Sorry, who are you? I'm confused..." Aaron said with a funny look on his face, "Oh sorry, this is Joe! Elvis' security guard I was telling you about?" "Oh right, sorry. I've heard a lot about you, sir" Aaron said shaking Joe's hand, ".'s quite alright, good buddy!" Joe said laughing directing us into the house.

     I stopped in my tracks and took in a deep breath. The familiar aroma of Elvis took over me and I felt like collapsing onto the floor, "You alright?" Aaron whispered picking up Scarlet. I nodded, "Alright well, I'm going to take Scarlet around and leave you alone for a bit, sweetheart" Aaron said walking into the hallway. I bit my lip and suddenly felt depressed and guilty, "Elvis. I'm sorry, Elvis. I'm so sorry" I was on the verge of crying so I moved over and leaned against the wall. I sniffled up my tears and looked around once more before heading into the hallway with Aaron and Scarlet.

     There were records and pictures all over the hall, "He was a talented man" Aaron said wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I sighed and nodded looking at a picture of Elvis that caught my eye, "Very talented" I whispered under my breath to quiet for anyone to hear, "Well. Should we go visit with Kevin?" I said, "Yeah, yeah sure- Oh my god" Aaron said looking around frantically "Hm?" "Where's Scarlet?"
     My heart started racing, "I'll go tell security" Aaron said running towards Joe, "Scarlet! Scarlet!" I screamed searching everywhere. Joe ran over with Aaron and brushed my shoulder trying to settle me, "We have this place on lockdown, just in case this is a kidnapping. Let's go check in the back" Joe said pointing towards the backdoor. We hurried out and turned towards Elvis' grave to see the beautiful Scarlet, talking to herself, which was very peculiar, "Scarlet!" I laughed running to her and holding her, "Why did you leave us, darlin'?" Aaron said hugging us. I put her down and she began to explain, "A nice man in a white suit held my hand and showed me everything, he said to tell you hi, mommy" She giggled and started skipping around the fountain. Aaron stared at me dumbstruck, "You don't think it was-" "Whats going on?" Joe said walking up to us.
     Suddenly my whole body went cold and I felt shaky, "Are you okay?" Joe said putting his hand on my shoulder, but I jumped away. Just then, everybody around me disappeared and he appeared. Elvis. He was 20 years old again, just as I remembered him, wearing a white tuxedo. He didn't speak, he just smiled and held out his hand. Tears dripped down my eyes as I took his hand. Everything was quiet and serene, "I love you still" He mouthed pulling me so close I could smell his cologne and fresh shaving cream, "I'll always be with you" He whispered twisting me around beginning to slow dance. Suddenly I felt alive again, I was happier then I've been in years, "I need to go, now. I love you, D. I'll visit you often. Promise." I smiled and hugged him as hard as I could, "I miss you so much. I love you" I smiled then everything went black.

     "Are you alright?" Aaron asked as I opened my eyes, "You fainted, here's some ice" Joe said as I sat up, "Thanks, I'm fine..."

        We walked into the house and Aaron walked to the front door holding Scarlet, "I'm going to take Scar to the car, we need to get going" I nodded and they left. I hugged Joe and kissed his cheek, "We need to do something sometime. I miss you guys so much...I love you guys, your like my family" I laughed through tears. A tear dripped from his eyes and he nodded, "God, look at me, D, I'm a mess...I miss E, Diane...We all do...I need to give you something I should have a while ago..." Joe said walking over to Elvis' old desk and taking out an envelope, "Here, read it. I'm sorry, he never had the chance to give it to you before he...passed...the night he died, he wanted to make sure you got it. It was the last thing I talked to him about, actually..." He said handing me it. I looked down and it had my name written on the front, with a circle around it.

                I toar it carefully opened and the paper was beginning to turn yellow. I smelled it and my eyes began to fill with tears again. It smelled just like him...

                                                                                                    1976

                  Dear D,

        I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything that's happened between us. We never should have broken up. I feel so guilty for what happened, and I hope you're happy with your new family. My family slowly fell apart a few years back, and I am no longer happy with my life. I don't think I can go on, Diane...By the time you've read this, I'll probably be gone. I can't even look in the mirror anymore. My hair is turning gray, and all my muscle seems to be turning into fat. You're all I ever think about. My wife's left me, and all I have is my daughter, but Priscilla took her away from me so she isn't stuck in the "limelight"...Sure, I get a few school report cards and pictures here and there but it just isn't the same. I loved Priscilla, but she took everything away from me...My life is over, and I don't want to live anymore. I've been looking for you ever since my marriage ended, just for a friendly relationship, since you're married... Just so I have something to live for. I wasn't sure where to look for you though, and I never found you...God, what I would do to hold you in my arms again...Anyways, chances are you will never even read this stupid letter. Just 5 minutes wasted of what's left of my pathetic life...I love you, D. I love you and you're all I have left. Please, don't forget me.

                                                           Love, Elvis.

* * *

               After that, even today, I still visit with Elvis from time to time. Elvis was the most romantic, curious and interesting man I had ever met in my entire life. He changed the view of American music forever. He isn't just the most famous singer of all time, he's a hero. And I still love him, too...

& for those conspiracy theories that say he is still alive...of course he is alive. As long as there is always that one heart to believe in him, as long as his name slips through the lips of people many generations from now, as long as he brings a smile to one little girl's sweet face, he is alive. And always will be. Let his spirit live on in peace.                      <3

"Long after I'm gone, what I did today will be heard by someone. I just want them to get the best of what I had." -Big E

The End.

R.I.P Elvis Aron Presley. Jan. 8th 1935-Aug. 16 1977