Love, Elvis: Chapter 12

Love, Elvis: Chapter 12

              His hand was placed on my thigh and sighed. He looked out his window and seemed deep in thought. I sighed happily and looked around. I peered down at his hand and traced across his fingers and up his arm. He looked at me over his shoulder then looking back out his window, chuckling light and quickly. I smiled and looked out my window placing my hand over his. I wish the movie would start...it's kind of getting ackward and-," What if I hurt you" He said inturrupting my inner thoughts as he stared blankly at his feet then up at me. I sent him a confused look and he looked out his window, " I can't be with you, D" He said then sighed, looking at me with appologetic eyes. My stomach fluttered and I thought for a second until I replied, " Yes you can. Don't listen to Kevin, we can make this all work. I love-" " Don't say that. It isn't true" His words sliced through me. I looked at him with my mouth slightly open. He looked down and seemed almost like he was about to cry, " I don't love you" He said shaking his head and closing his eyes tightly. It felt as though he stabbed a knife through my flesh.

The all too familiar burning sensation began arising from my throat but I fought back the tears and said shakily, " You...you don't mean that" He scrunched up his face and closed his eyes tighter. He let out a breath and opened his red, watery eyes. He looked at me and said sounding angery, " I mean it. I don't love you" The tears I was fighting back began escaping silently down my cheeks. I looked away quickly, rubbing them away, " Your a liar" I whispered, " You LIED to me! About everything! I can't believe you!" I smacked his shoulder and turned away, crossing my arms. He sighed shakily, sniffled once and said, " I'm sorry I-" " No your not!" I yelled as loud as I could making him flinch, " You never loved me! I hate you! I never want to see you again!" I screamed through tears as I smacked at him repeatedly, " Stop, stop it" He said as he held my arms. I finally gave up and pulled away from his grasp. I took a final look at his beautiful, sorrowsome face and left his car.

I ran away as fast as I could. His car left the theater behind me so I hid in some bushes. His head leaned out the window and he looked around the street. He huffed out and turned the car towards Graceland. I sighed and followed his car quickly, staying hiden in the shadows. When he got there I waited until he was in the house before I approaced the gate. I walked up and, luckily, Joe was there with Kevin, " Diane! Why aren't you with Elvis?" Joe said as he walked me through the gate. I pulled away from him and he held my shoulders. He looked at me with worried eyes and said, " What happened" I rolled my eyes and wiped away more tears as I ran from his grasp towards my car. I jumped in and locked the doors before he could open it. He was looking in through the passenger window, " Shit..shit, Joe? Joe? Wheres the keys!" I screamed through the window. He slightly smiled and I unlocked the door, " Thank you" He said and sat next to me, " The keys?" I said impatiently. He sighed and looked at me, " What happened? Where are you going? I need to speak with Elvis and-" "Do NOT talk to Elvis." I ordered. He looked at me confused then left inside Graceland. I waited for about 10 minutes until he jogged back with my keys and bags, " Here you go, D. I'm sorry with..whatever just happened. You can come back anytime." I forced a smile at him and backed up, looked at Graceland one more time, then sped away.

~Almost a month later~

I havn't spoken to anyone since that night. I've been staying in my car and thinking for days about everything. Almost 30 days after I last saw Elvis, I decided I would go out. It was almost 2:30 in the morning and Main Street Memphis was deserted. I had nothing better to do then walk up and down the sidewalk and look inside the dark, empty stores. I was walking back down to my car when I was shoved to the ground and two dark figures hovered over me. I let out a horrified scream and they kicked my sides. I whimpered and they shoved some sort of cloth down my throat. The taller man ripped at my clothes and the other searched me, " She has nothing!" The man said in a rusty voice. I pulled out the cloth in another attempt to scream but it was to late and the man on the left had stabbed my side. I let out a scream so loud and painful I almost scared myself.

"D, Diane..D oh D" A familiar voice cried at me, " Talk to me D. Say something please" It whimpered and screamed at me. I didn't move, I couldn't. It was Elvis. His hand was pushed up against the hole in my side and he pressed his face against mine. He was warm against my cold, dying skin, " Your gone...I lost you...Oh D I didn't mean it! This is all Kevins fault! I never should have listened to him! How could I be so stupid...Oh D I love you so much, I had to do that to you or he would have hurt me or you! He told me so! Oh come on now D wake up ...please!" He shouted, moaned and cried. He was practically whaling, " He told me he'd hurt you if he ever saw you near me again! He told me you lied and he didn't trust you! Oh D! Oh Darlin' don't leave me! Joe, call for help!" The rest was all a blur, I couldn't move, and I began to black out...

I opened my eyes slowly. It hurt and I couldn't move. I looked around and I was alone. I was in a small, white hospital room. I heard voices and turned my head to the window that had blinds covering it, " I'm sorry Mr. Presley. She's gone" The young nurse said. I heard him begin to cry and shout, " Can't you save her?! She can't be gone! She can't be!" " I'm sorry Mr. Pr-" she began but he said sounding angery yet calm, " Where is she. I need to see her" " I'm sorry, you can't see her right now-" " She's in here isn't she? Open the door" " Mr. Presley I can't-" " OPEN THIS DOOR!" He shouted. The door began to open and I closed my eyes. " Oh my lord.." I heard the nurse say. I heard Elvis let out a laugh and he ran to my side, " Your alive, D" He said through tears as I opened my eyes delicatly, " Well...Barely, Mr. Presley. She has little chance of survival. She's in a lot of pain.." I saw the glee jump from his face. He held my hands tightly and smiled through his tears, " It's gone' be okay, D. It's gone' be okay..." He brushed back my hair and I tried to smiled but my eyes closed, " No, no!" He shouted beginning to cry even harder, " No baby open your eyes! Come on now, D! Open 'em!" He ordered me as he grabbed onto me. Joe was pulling him back and he shouted, " No!! Diane!! Diane!!" Then the door opened, shut and there was silence. I tried opening my eyes but it was no good. I felt tears run down my cheeks and once again, I was alone.

I finally had gotten my eyes to open, this time fairly wide. I felt normal and perfect until I sat up and noticed my side was covered in bloody bandages. I thought about attempting standing up but I feared falling and damaging myself more. So I sat there and looked at the, now open window. I noticed a head facing away from the window, sitting down. It had to be Elvis! The had short but tall, jet-black hair that stood up slightly in the front. That was all I could see. All I wanted to do right now was stand up, run to him and say, 'I'm okay! I'm okay!'. I noticed Joes eyes watering as he spoke to the nurse, " and there's nothing else you can do?" He said, " I'm sorry. She's gone. For good this time. I think it's time ffor you guys to leave. You can say one more last goodbye though" I smiled lightly and watched as they opened the door. I'll never forget Elvis' smile that moment..it stretched from ear to ear and hid the sorrow that once covered his face, " D!" He shouted excitedly and ran to hug me. The nurse eyed me with disbelief and her jaw on the floor. Kevin stood by Joe, Joe hugged the nurse and laughed. Elvis kissed me on the lips and laughed, " Oh D! Never scare me like that again!" He hugged and kissed me more then backed away. He crossed his arms and stared Kevin as if he was about to smash his face in. Kevin looked at him guiltily and sighed, " I'm sorry I didn't trust you Diane...Sorry I said that to you, Elvis" He gave Elvis a big "bear" hug and gently hugged me. Joe hugged me and laughed. Everyone left except Elvis who sat by my side, holding my hands, kissing them. A tear began to roll down his cheek but I brushed it away with my finger.

I smiled and said in a very tired, very unfamiliar voice, " I believe you" He looked at me confused then smiled, " what do you mean, babe?" I laughed then said, " I heard everything...last night...after those men had hurt me and-" " Who did this to you" He interuppted me staring angerily at me. " I don't know..it was dark..-" " I'll find them" He said, " I don't care how. I don't care when. I will. I promise. And when I do, it ain't gone' be pretty." He spoke those words all to seriously. It was quiet until he broke the silence, " Wait...you heard me? Why didn't you say anything? I thought you were dead..." I frowned and said truthfully, " I couldn't I was to weak...It hurt to breath...I'm sorry I scared you" I looked at me lovingly and kissed my cheek, " As long as your okay" He whispered. Just then the nurse walked in, " It's time for you to leave, Mr. Pres-" " I'm staying the night" He said sounding annoyed and totally pissed off, " Oh, well that's not a problem. You'll need to sign in though and get a name tag" He shrugged, kissed my forehead then left with the nurse.