What's Love Got To Do With It?

Copyright 2019 by TheShonelleAct

(Title and Cover may be subject to change) All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or any means, or stored in a database retrieval system, without the prior written permission of the author.

The music filled the loudly filled the car. The kind of music that sent a jolt through your chest and fills your soul. I'm not even being dramatic. This was the real deal.
Elliot and I decided to hang out the next morning and go for a ride to the lake. It was the best way to leave the stress and with us being seniors it was definitely a needed thing.

   "What's love got to do with it, got to do with it!" I screeched singing along to Tina Turner. "What's love but a second hand emotion!" Elliot sang back in a high-pitched tone.

      We laughed together the sound somehow overpowering the music. Elliot lowed the music down. "Why sir have you done that?" I asked.

  His lips were a thin line and he was avoiding my eyes. The happiness bubble we were so happily floating in popped in seconds late. Now all I felt was confusion and slight anxiety. "Vi, do you really like this Sean kid?" He asked softly.

   I sat back in the passenger side and shrugged my shoulders. Did I like him? He was cute sure but there was no way I would know how I felt about the guy yet. No, that was impossible. "I only met him yesterday." I answered.

   "I know that but still. Can you like see yourself really being in a relationship with him?"

   I thought about it. It'd be nice? He seems like the loving type. "I think I would like it and I can somewhat see it. Why?"

  Elliot looked flustered. "Come on Violet, you know why. If you two become a thing than we can't..." He trailed off and looked at me pleadingly. I sighed. "Yes, we can't do that anymore if that happens but it hasn't yet. Why not just continue what we were doing?". I wonder though what brought this on? Elliot was spontaneous sometimes but he was never random. He had to have been thinking about this before and didn't say anything.

   "Do you not like him?"

  "No! I think he's cool. It's just I like.. doing stuff with you. I don't want to lose our friendship. Or this." He said, I thought when he said 'friendship' it would sting but it didn't.

    "I don't either. Everything is going to be fine Elliot I promise. We'll always be friends. I still have to meet this Madison chick you know. She can be an ogre for all I know." I said with a smile. A genuine one.

   He snorted. "Please, Madison is far from an ogre she is completely and totally hot."

   I laughed. "Sure, and how can you be positive she doesn't pick her teeth with her toe nail?"

  "First of all, ew. And second of all because I don't date ogre's I've only dated hot girls. You should know since you were one of them." He looked at me and winked. My face heated almost automatically. Damn that boy, he should only be good at one thing and that was not making me blush.

   Oh wait. That reminds me.

I traced circles in his chest and he turned a corner. A sly smile stretched on his face. "What do you think your doing?" He said I could tell he was trying to keep his voice leveled. It was funny when he thought he had control.

   "Oh nothing. Just trying to find a heartbeat. Yep you seem to be alive alright." I replied lamely. He grinned. "Oh really?"

   I let my finger slide down his abs and felt the spaces between them. "Really." I muttered. He turned another corner and the car stopped. "Violet." He said sternly. I stopped tracing and looked at him.