Chapter 44 - UNCUT

Chapter 44 - UNCUT

I paced my tent.

Jonathan still wasn’t back.  Neither was Percy or any of the men who followed the King’s retreat.

Maybe it was a trap.

Maybe he had made it look like he was running away so that they would chase him like they did.

I picked up James who squawked for attention. Rubbing his back softly as he lay against my shoulder, I continued to pace.

Please let Jonathan be safe.

A hearty cheer came up from the gate.  I pushed the canvas aside and stepped out.  The men were all running towards the gate with broad smiles on their faces.  Someone had returned.  But I couldn’t see who through all the men who now gathered to congratulate the rider.

Yes, it was a single rider.

That couldn’t be good.  Where were all the other men who rode out?  Why had only one returned?

I shivered.  The air was cool and so was my heart.

I looked down at James.  He needed his shawl.  I didn’t want him to get sick.  Quickly I returned to the tent and wrapped my son in the warm wool wrap.

“My love.”

The soft words caused me to spin and almost lose my footing.  He caught me but didn’t pull me into his chest.  He still wore his battle armour and it was filthy with dirt, sweat and blood.  I quickly ran my eyes over him.

“Hardly even a nick, my love,” Jonathan smiled at me.  “I knew that the man was an idiot but to be so incompetent with so many lives.  They died unnecessarily Maeb.”

“I know, is it over?”

“No.  We chased him and his guard but they made it into a local town.  They shut the gates.  The town must be loyal to the King.  I left the men guarding it so I could return with more.”

“A siege?”

“We can’t let him go Maeb.”

“I know but a siege...” 

He touched my face gently, “You and James are safe and I will finish this.”

“But all the people in the town...”

“I know.  I will try to negotiate.”

“I am coming.  I must be there.  They might surrender if I am there.”

Jonathan exhaled a loud breath.  “It’s dangerous Maeb.  I have no idea what is behind those walls.”

“Women and children are behind those walls, innocent people.  I won’t sit by while they get drawn into this.”

“Maeb this was his doing.  If the people of this town support him they are not innocent.”

“I am going Jonathan.  I will not rest here while there is something I can do for my people.”

He rubbed his face with the heels of his hands, “Fine but the twelve will be your personal bodyguard.”

I touched his face.  He looked tired.  “I was worried about you.”

He smiled softly and very carefully he leaned in and kissed me.

“I don’t have much time.  I have to get back, can’t have Percy taking all the glory for himself!”  He scoffed  a soft laugh.  “Thomas will make the arrangements.  Don’t take any risks Maeb.  I can’t lose you now that we are so close to the end.”