Chapter 18 - UNCUT

Chapter 18 - UNCUT

“Hang on, how do we know you are that good?” Ed asked.

“I did beat all four... well three of you, or I would have if not for crossbow boy here.”

The three I had fought started to argue amongst themselves about what each would have done to defeat me.Thomas merely watched me carefully.

I walked over and picked up two smooth poles.They had obviously been used for this purpose before.

“Fine, if you doubt me let’s have a little competition.Who would like to take on the pregnant woman in single combat first?”

Ed’s eyes lit up so I threw him the pole.

“Don’t hold back, it’s not like you could ever actually hit me,” I smirked back at him.

We circled.I gave him some openings to give him some confidence.But each time he lunged my stick was there.I watched his technique or rather lack of it.I decided not to ridicule his style, he was obviously quite egotistical so to directly show up his inept skills would embarrass.

“Nice hair cut,” I said very nonchalantly as we circled each other, “Very Continental.I like it.”

He immediately straightened up slightly and tossed his head back preening just a little.I dropped and took his legs out with my stick.He fell like a sack of potatoes. Carefully stepping back and resting on my stick, I smiled.

“Use what you can to win,” I said quietly. “Joe you are next.”

“OK Blossom but you won’t distract me this time.My pants are tight and my coins are secure.”

I smiled at him.He was big with very broad shoulders.A little top heavy, truth be told.I tried to look a little scared.He lunged his stick at me with his upper body following it. I just stepped into him rather than away and gave him a helping hand to continue in the same direction he was heading.That was enough to overbalance him and sent him face first into the dirt.

“Use their advantages to their disadvantage.” I nodded to Sam and threw him the stick.

Sam was shy but fast.His stick hit mine a number of times before I smiled smugly at him and laughed knowingly.He hesitated just for a second unsure as to my smirk before my stick found his stomach.He dropped to the floor with another whack to the back to send him on his way.

“Everything must be in balance, skill, speed, endurance and confidence”

I smiled at Thomas who picked up the stick while helping Sam up.We circled each other.His footwork was good, confident and smooth.I watched.He spun his stick in to meet mine.He had been watching, that was the weakness that I had been leaving open to see if Sam would take it.

“Did you teach Torc how to fight?” he whispered.

My jaw clenched but I let it wash over me, it wasn’t the first time someone had heckled me in a fight and I had heard worse.

“Only the horizontal ones,” I laughed and saw his jaw tighten

I was ready when the blow came and answered with my own.He had left his side open.He grunted in pain as the stick struck but remained standing.I wasn’t going to continue the dialog, I could have but that lesson had been demonstrated.We turned and I watched him carefully his left arm was slightly lower.I spun in and hit him across the upper left shoulder.He dropped the stick and grimaced in pain.

The others looked on in surprise.

“Watch carefully, everyone has a weakness it might be small but it will be there.”