Chapter 38 - UNCUT

Chapter 38 - UNCUT

I walked into the library to find Jonathan wearing the uniform of the Leader of the twelve.  My heart stirred.  He looked every bit the man who led the King’s men to victory, who was claimed Warrior of the Campaign accolade and who I freely gave my innocence to.  I smiled elated in the knowledge that this gorgeous man was mine.

 Yet tonight he seemed uncomfortable.  Like he wished he could be anywhere other than in this small room.  He fidgeted and his eyes did not meet mine.  Instead his focus flitted around the room almost like that of a caged wild animal.

What had him behaving so out of character?

 Thomas, also dressed in the uniform of the Twelve, led the strangers in.  Clean and groomed they looked vastly different to the pair who arrived.  The man moved painfully with the aid of a crutch, his hair was no longer a dirty brown colour but was a golden yellow, and his face was lined with hardship.  He was a lot older than what I expected. 

Where the man was quiet the woman was just as vivacious as she appeared earlier.  She stood tall and proud with her eyes were alert in an overtly intensive way.   When she looked at you it felt like she could see through you to your very soul.  Her gaze was unnerving.

“The day has finally come,” she too must have been inebriated because now her words were clearer than before and she spoke with more class. “Do not fail me now children.”

This woman was either insane or something else.  No peasant or servant would be so bold unless their mind was gone.  She was in the presence of the Queen and noble men and she was acting as if she was our superior.  This alone demanded her whipped.

“Who are you Madam?” Percy stood with his shoulders squared and looked every bit the future Lord.  “What brings you to my halls?”

“Many names have I been known as.  Many times our paths have crossed without your knowledge.  I am the past.  I am the future.  I am the key.”

“Answer me not with riddles woman.  None here have the patience for them.  Be straight with me or I will have no choice but to believe you are a spy.”

“I am a spy, a fly in the ointment.  I am what you most need.”

“Just answer the question Eve,” the man mumbled in a low pained voice.

“You would ruin my fun!  Yes, Broken Man, twenty and five years have I been waiting for this day and you will not take my moment from me.   More respect I deserve from you for all I have done.  If it was not for me Lover Boy would be still chopping wood and our Queen Maeb here would be still dressing up like a man.”

“What?  That is it!  I want a straight answer.  Jonathan, why is she referring to you as Lover Boy?”

“Jonathan?” the man she referred to as Broken Man whispered an exclamation which was barely audible. Yet at the same time his eyes came up and for the first time he focused on Jonathan.

“Ohh Lover Boy, have ya forgotten me?  Me? After spilling your virgin seed into me and hammering me day and night...”

“That’s enough woman!” Jonathan stood and growled at her with a low voice.

“You had sex with her?” Percy’s eyebrows flew up.

“You put your...”

“Not in front of Maeb Thomas!” growled Jonathan as he rubbed his face with his hands.