Chapter 43 - UNCUT

Chapter 43 - UNCUT

I woke with mixed feelings.

Again Jonathan was already watching me in the morning light. 

This day was going to be a repeat of yesterday, up to a point. 

I would memorise his face, his voice, his expressions and his love, again, because Jonathan would go to war today, again.  But this time there would be nothing short of surrender that would hold back the fighting.  And neither side were about to surrender now.

My hand cupped his face and his eyes came to mine. He smiled.

“Yesterday you gave me the greatest gift a man can receive Maeb.  Thank you.”

I laughed, “A gift that cried throughout the night.”

“Our son has strong lungs for one so young.”

“Jonathan, I know we should not name him officially while Edward lives but what name would you call him by?”

Jonathan’s brow furrowed and he looked at me, “You would have me name him?”

“Well it is traditionally the role of the Father to name his children.”

“Maeb,” he smiled at me, “I love you.  I never expected this honour. I have never thought about it.”

“Can I make a suggestion?” I asked and his eyes instantly glowed with curiousity, “We can’t name him after you or your family as that would be too obvious.  But I like the name James.”

“James?” he said it as if trying it on.

“Yes, it has elements of both our names within it.”

“Jonathan and Maeb’s son - James,” he chuckled, “I like the sound of that.  Yes, James is a good name for our son.”

“Jonathan please come back to us.” I touched his face, “Come back for James and me.”

His eyes met mine and he skimmed his fingers over my face, “I will do everything in my power to return to you my love.”  Then his face broke into a broad grin, “Afterall James will need a brother or a sister to play with.”

“Give me time to forget the labour before you have me endure that again!”

A cry from the cot next to us made me sigh, “My master calls.”

He watched me latch James to my breast and feed him.  His gentle caresses and intense eyes made me wish I did not ache so much.  It would be a while before I was ready for what he was eager to do.

A horn blew in the distance and I saw him stiffen.  I could not wrap myself around him and hold him tightly.  He had to share me today.  I reached for his hand and pressed it to my heart.

“This belongs to you, we belong to you.  Come back for us.  We wait for you.”

“As I belong to both of you.”

He frowned and he looked at me carefully, “Maeb I want Thomas to guard you today.  I know you and James have to be visible during the battle.  I must know that you have someone who will defend you with his life if needs be.  My father is not strong enough.  He means well but I want someone who will give you a chance to escape.  Thomas would.”

 “Very well.  If it gives you piece of mind.”

He took James and lay him in his cot kissing his tiny forehead and whispering words to him that I did not hear.  Then he turned to me.  He scooped me into his arms and kissed me with all his love.  My heart ached in my chest as I too released my love for him into that kiss.  My arms and hands pulled at him trying to have more of him touching me.  He groaned into my mouth as the kiss heightened his desires.