Chapter 28 - UNCUT

Chapter 28 - UNCUT

We entered the Lords halls but he was not there. 

“Does Lord Percival insult us by not greeting his guests?”

“Please Lord Maine,” Percy tried to hide his smile as the men in the hall turned to see the exchange, “Do not take offence.  My Father is a recluse.  He rarely leaves his chambers.”

“We have travelled to see him, I demand an audience,” I growled in my most warrior-like voice.

“Very well Lord Maine, I will make arrangements for the late morning, he is more hospitable in the morning.  We get so few visitors to our halls so please accept our apologies and join us for the meal.”

“Very well,” I turned and nodded to Douglas who smiled back to me.  The men relaxed and settled to a table while Brother Jonathan and I took our seats at the head table.  I also made sure I caught Thomas’ eyes and nodded to him.  He took his place with the men.

“Lord Maine, we receive so few travellers to our halls and the men are sick of my voice.  Please regale us with your tales.  We crave news from the Kingdom,” I caught his mischievous smile, “Brother Jonathan will you not tell of the political and spiritual goings on in the Kings Court?”

I laughed with a bellow, “Percy, you make my ribs ache! Brother Jonathan would know no stories that your men would enjoy!  Hell, let him tell the women of his prayers for good crops and fine weather.  No what your men need are tales of war and lust, of bloody battle and buxom maidens ripe for the picking.”

The men in the hall laughed and cheered raising their goblets in approval.  Jonathan turned to me and I could tell he was trying to control his expression of amusement. 

Percy’s grin split his face, “Ohh how I have missed your company Lord Maine.  Wine?”

“Now Percy you know that the twelve do not participate in the drink, we drink deeply on a more intoxicating nectar than your wine!”  I laughed generously and watched the Twelve look to each other. Douglas was quick to slap backs and laughed while encouraging at them to follow suit.  Our eyes met and he nodded.

I began my tale.  I had heard enough of similar adventures, from the winter nights in the halls of my husband, to know what they desired to hear and what details were called for.  I also relaxed. Lord Maine represented my years of freedom and happiness.  Percy and I had spent many nights in taverns and tents listening to and telling similar tales.  It was not long before Percy and I were reminiscing together with embellished but true stories of our adventures together. 

As the night wore on I noticed that one face remained dark and downturned.  His eyes were hard and on the rare occasion they lifted in my direction he could not hold my gaze.  Thomas was less than impressed with my boasting persona. 

The local men were drunk and either passed out or staggering home when I saw Thomas heading from the hall.  I avoided Jonathan’s eyes as I left the table and followed him. 

“Thomas?” It was dark and the courtyard was deserted.  Thomas stopped in the middle with his back to me and the moonlight in his hair.  “What is your issue Thomas?”

“You.” He said turning.  “How can you speak of such things?”

“Thomas, I am Lord Maine and I told you that my life was complicated.  I am not the simple... person you knew in the forest.  I must now be Lord Maine.”