Chapter 2 - UNCUT

Chapter 2

It was after midday and the preparations for the first feast were well underway.  I inspected the woman in front of me as she assessed me.

“Cassaire, the price is agreed on.  There is no negotiation needed.”

“Ahh but we are having new dancers, much money takes it to train new dancers.  With new dancers we have better and we are needing more gold.  The King he likes...”

“New dancers?”  I interrupted her not wanting her to finish the sentence.  I looked out to the rehearsing dancers in the Hall.  Yes, last year there had been five now there were seven.  Damn.  I tried to pick out the new ones to see if they were worth the extra gold.  OK so yes there was a new young muscular boy and a stunningly beautiful young girl who was doing an exotic dance amongst them.  The King would be pleased.

“Fine, 10 pieces but no more Cassaire and if they don’t perform, if the King is unhappy then it will only be 7 pieces.  Understand.”  I ground my teeth together.  I hated knowing what I had just agreed to and paid for but it was necessary.  Yes if he was happy then this week would go much easier for me.

I pushed my sleeves up and wound my long thick curly auburn hair up into a loose knot at the base of my head.  Next job, the Grand Hall needed to be set up and decorated.  I looked at the band of young boys and quickly and clearly lay out my instructions to them.

I was standing in the middle of the hall with fifteen bench tables in motion when I felt the strong arms wrap around me from behind.  Without thinking I twisted, grabbed and pulled, flipping my assailant on his back onto the floor.

"That’s no way to treat your returning hero,” the crumpled form on the ground complained.

“Yes, well my ‘returning hero’ obviously doesn’t remember how to treat a Lady,” I growled at him but couldn’t also help the smile.

“Ahh, that presupposes that you are a Lady, Nahh, you will always just be my big sister! Hey Maeb, good to see you are just a feisty as always!”

“And you Colm are just as insolent as always.  I too am glad that you have returned without the arrogance that so many carry after their first campaign. Is Father here?”  I asked apprehensively.  Father and I did not have the best parting of ways.

“No he had to get back but he sends his regards and hopes your fortunes improve,” Colm looked very uncomfortable.

I laughed, “I am sure he does.  Now Colm I have work to do but I want to hear about your adventures.  Also I have already warned the young ladies of the court to stay away from you and your boyish good looks.”  I looked at him again.  “Colm, when did you grow up, you are a man.  I will have to really warn the ladies about you now!”

He flashed me a bright smile and puffed out his muscular chest.  Yes he had grown into a fine man.  His face was strong and unmarred, still holding some of the boyish qualities that showed his youth, his hair light brown with an auburn glint when the sun fell on it was long and the curl was tamed by a leather cord that tied it, but his body showed no signs of childhood.  He had the body of a man.  I shook my head.  My youngest brother.

“Do you want me to kiss you?” he flashed another cheeky smile and raised an eyebrow.

 “What?” I looked at him in disbelief and disgust.

 “The mighty hero Torc is gazing upon your beauty, I can save you from his one eyed beast...”  Colm said seemingly seriously.

 I rolled my eyes at him. “Sarcasm is not one of the qualities of a true warrior Colm.”

Colm wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into him.  “Yes but this is a serious threat, he is the one you need to be warning your young ladies about.  He is the one with the insatiable hunger.  Don’t struggle,” he whispered to me.

                “Mighty, noble warrior, you might forget but it is not you job anymore to protect me.”  I laughed at him but also found myself looking in the direction of Colm’s glaring stare.  Leaning causally against a column was a man, not a god or a huge beast like man, just a man.  Admittedly even from this distance it was obvious that he was a very attractive man.  Blonde hair, warm honey coloured skin, and twinkling eyes.  I could feel the confidence waft off him, the type of confidence that always made me feel a little curious, a little too curious.  His eyes were fixed on me and he flashed a confident smirk before he pushed himself off the column and turned to the waiting group of men and left.  Colm relaxed.

“Be careful Maeb he is no ordinary man.”

“Come on Colm, you are usually not so gullible.” I laughed covering my shallow breathing.  “Don’t tell me that you believe him to be sent from the gods just because he can spin a good yarn.”

Colm paled and shook his head as he released me, “Maeb I have seen with my own eyes what that man is capable of both on the battlefield and off, and I don’t know what scares me more.  Warn the women but don’t expect it to do any good.”  

I laughed at him, shook my head while rolling my eyes and gave him a push in the direction of the doors, “Go!  I have work to do if you want to feast tonight!”

I spent the rest of the afternoon ensuring that all was running smoothly before I returned to my chambers where Aine awaited nervously.  She never had enough time to do what she need to do to me.  She flustered over my hair weaving it in intricate knots and treading flowers and ribbons into it.  Then she dressed me in my new dress.  Each year I had a new dress made for this feast.  Each year I was prepared in this manner.  And each year it made little difference.  I could have worn my work dress and had my hair in disarray for all the difference it made.  But alas that would offend the King, if he noticed, and the outcome of that would not be favourable.  Yes better to be uncomfortable, pretty and ignored than comfortable and draw the ill favour of the King.

Aine checked me over and nodded.   She smiled he little half smile which I recognized so well.  Things had not gone to plan and my situation was becoming difficult.  Aine was the one person who love me and who feared for me.  She was like a sister to me.

“Maybe tonight,” I said with no hope in my voice, “although Madame Cassaire has new dancers so...” I grimaced, “I expect to be back early.

Aine’s expression reflected her pain.  “Maeb, you must find a way, you must or..."

“Don’t think that I don’t understand that, Aine! “ I shot back at her angrily.  I sighed and shook my head, “I am sorry I know that you mean well but I don’t know what I can do.  Maybe after the warriors and the dancers have gone he will see me then.  This year I will make him see me.”  I said again with no hope in my tone.

 Aine smiled sadly at me as we walked together to the Grand Hall.  She made her final adjustments before I made my entrance.  “Don’t grind your teeth, smile,” she reminded me.

The hall was full and the meal was waiting to be served.  I had to go now. 

“The Queen,” the herald proclaimed loudly above the voices of the men. 

I heard the benches scrape and when I was sure that all were standing I made my entrance.