☆ Chapter 23 ☆

Dedicated to @sparkly_peaches because she just started an interview book on here and I was her first interviewee! Go check out the book on her page titled "Wattpad Interviews" if you want to know a bit more about me and my writing :)

☆ ☆ ☆

I woke up to Danny's face.

I had been staying at his place with Paul the last few days, as planned. Danny had yet to return, staying with his friends a few extra days. As it turns out, the friends that were storing their stuff in his bedroom would be arriving on the same plane as him, so my only option was to sleep in Paul's bed.

Maybe that's why Danny seemed so upset.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I couldn't decipher whether his voice was filled with anger or sadness. Either way, the expression on his face could only be described as hurt.

I stood up suddenly before remembering that I had been washing my pajamas and was currently dressed in nothing but one of Paul's bigger t-shirts. In attempt to hide my clothes, I jumped back under the covers. But it was too late.

"What the actual hell, Cassie?" Danny's eyes were tearing up at the edges, his face reddening. Even his voice was cracking under the weight of his emotions. "Damn it, I've been cheated on before, but never like this. I would never have expected this from you, or Paul for that matter!"

The rage and volume in his voice were increasing at a dangerous rate. Then, out of nowhere, he punched the wall. A small amount of dust flew from the new opening as drywall crumbled onto the floor.

I grabbed his arm in a panic. "Danny, wait! I swear, it's not what it looks like."

He didn't even glance at me as he stormed from the room. Of course, he was entitled to being upset, as I would be in his situation. But I never would have expected something like this from him. He was just too gentle, too caring. I would have thought he'd at least listen before reacting like that.

In all honesty, his actions reminded me of Tanden. And that was a notion that scared me more than anything, sending a shiver down my spine. No, Danny Edge would never be like Tanden.

"Danny!" I called, racing after him. But he was nowhere to be found. Paul, seemingly just returning from the store, stood at the door with bags full of groceries. The look on his face seemed confused, his cheeks red from being upset.

He dropped the groceries on the floor, sliding his back down the wall until he was sitting. "Damn it, what just happened?" He asked, though I'm fairly certain it was directed at himself rather than me. Paul began running his hands through his hair, his forehead on his knees.

"Paul, what happened? Are you-"

"Damn it!" I felt like that was the new phrase of the day, considering how often the two boys had said it in the last few minutes. "I can't deal with this right now. Please just leave me alone." He didn't even lift his head to look at me as I slipped on shorts and shoes before heading out the door.

It didn't take long to find Danny. Even so, the distance between his apartment and the nearby park was enough for me to melt into uncontrollable sobs. Not only had my boyfriend yelled at me, but Paul wanted me to leave, too. Even Whitney had kicked me out a few days prior. It was like everything safe in my life had chosen the exact same moment to crumble into pieces around me.

Maybe this was all a sign. Everything here was falling apart just as a new opportunity became available. Like destiny was pushing me out the metaphorical door with my bags packed, wiping away its tears as I made off for a better life. That was the moment I truly realized I needed out of here.

Danny was sitting next to the duck pond in the center of the pond, his now-bare feet dangling into the clear water below. I'm fairly certain now wasn't the time to point out that his position was against park rules, especially once I'd noticed his tearstained face and the way his fists were clenched around tufts of grass.

I sat next to him, deciding it was better if I didn't say anything. Maybe then he would be less likely to explode. When he finally decided to speak, I realized I had been right.

"Why?" He asked weakly, keeping his gaze locked onto the empty duck pond. "Why would you do that to me, Cas?"

Now it was my turn to get upset. Sure, he had every right to be angry after finding me in such a compromising position. But to react the way he had, to jump to conclusions, to think that I was even capable of cheating on him is what sent me over the edge.

"No, you don't get to sit here and throw accusations like that." I stood suddenly, brushing myself off as I looked down at him. He looked at me, surprised by the outburst. Though I was also shocked by my words, I did all I could to keep my composure.

I shook my head at him. "I would never have jumped to conclusions like that without talking to you first." My breathing was ragged as my voice rose in volume. "I didn't cheat on you. Not with Paul, not with anyone. I just can't believe you would assume that."

The whole thing came out in jumbles. It was hard keeping my head together at this point, and it showed. I was just so upset, so overwhelmed with conflicting emotions, I couldn't even form a coherent sentence.

"Cassie." Danny's voice brought me back to reality, his hands creating a warmth on my shoulders. He went to wipe away my tears, but I stepped away.

"I sat here for almost a week and waited for you." Shit. I couldn't control my voice, clenching my fists in an attempt to stop my body from shaking. "I know you had no idea I was going to be here and you found me in your best friend's bed wearing his shirt. But nothing happened, and I thought you trusted me enough that you wouldn't jump to conclusions.

"But I guess I was wrong. About everything." With that, I turned on my heel, not even bothering to look back at him.

I heard a frustrated groan from behind me, followed by a series of curses. Danny's hand encased mine, turning me to face his tear-filled eyes.

"Shit, Cas, I'm sorry." Dang it, I was falling into the depths of his eyes, my will dissipating. "I should have asked you what was going on. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I just wish you would've told me everything beforehand."

I shook my head, all former resolve gone. I had always been so forgiving of the people I cared about, and to some degree I hated it. But in this moment all I could do was walk up to Danny, throwing my arms around his waist before burying my head in his chest.

"Cas." He hugged me back, allowing his head to rest on my shoulder. His embrace was so warm- I never wanted to leave this moment.

Despite all the hectic events that had happened only seconds before, I was somewhat content. Danny just had that sort of calming affect on me. Like being with him made me safe- he was my castle, my wall, my moat. Every line of my defense.

We sat in silence for a few moments before Danny's voice broke the air again. "I love you."

☆  ☆  ☆

OMIGERSH THIS IS THE SECOND-TO-LAST CHAPTER

I'VE ALREADY WRITTEN THE LAST CHAPTER AND EVERYTHING

I DON'T WANT THIS TO END

(Though I have a surprise for all my readers~! It will be announced at the end of the last chapter or in a special author's note afterwards :) )

Anyways, don't forget to vote and comment :)

QOTC: HE SAID THOSE THREE WORDS HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL?

P.S. I have a new original story starting up right now called Matchmaker, plus I'm working on some updates for my Calum Hood fanfic, Roomies. If you guys like my writing please check them out :)

~Stay Amazing~

xoxo, InsomniaWriting