☆ Chapter 6 ☆

(Danny's PoV)

When I emerged from the closet, Cassie was already gone. I assumed she had made her way to the kitchen, but when I checked, she was nowhere to be seen. She wasn't in the bathroom, or the living room, or even the game room. Even Paul had no clue where she was.

"She probably left, dude." He said simply, flipping through shows on the TV. He flashed me an annoyed look. "And I was going to make her pancakes."

"Make yourself some pancakes." I remarked grumpily, annoyed at the fact that she would just leave without saying goodbye. Was she upset with me? As far as I could tell, she had no real reason to be.

"I've got a shift at two." I told Paul, making my way back to my room to get some sleep. "Could you wake me up at, say, one?" That would give me a good three hours of sleep.

"Sure." He said, still focused on the television set.

I busied myself with sleep, doing my best to stop thinking about Cassie. About her smile, about the way her face lit up after I told her a joke. Eventually, I managed to fall asleep.

Only to dream of her.

✩ ✩ ✩

I woke up groggily, not quite sure where I was. It took a few moments before I realized that I was in my own bed, and not with Cassie, as my dreams had portrayed. Rather, after glancing at my clock I realized that I was late for work.

"Shit!" I yelled, not even bothering to fix my clothes, which were crumpled from sleep. Paul was supposed to wake me up at one, and it was already 2:30. Making my way downstairs, I noticed that he was asleep on the couch. That jerk.

I rushed over to the cafe, glad to see that my co-worker, Amanda, hadn't left yet.

"You're late." She remarked, blowing her gum out so that it popped in my face. She wasn't the nicest co-worker, or the least annoying one, but at least she didn't leave whenever I was late. Otherwise, I might have been fired by now.

"I know, I know." I push past her, tying on one of the blue aprons our job required us to wear. "I'm sorry. Paul forgot to wake me up again."

"Oh, yeah, that reminds me." Amanda smiled, scooting closer to me. "Do you think you could talk to Paul for me?"

"About?" I asked, playing dumb. There was no way I was going to set my best friend up with someone like Amanda. Besides, she wasn't his type.

"About a date, silly." She giggled, hitting my arm playfully. I was always amazed at how different some members of the female species were willing to act to get something they wanted.

"Oh, uh, sure." I had to think up an excuse, and fast. "But he's already booked up for this week." As far as I knew, he could be.

"Aww." She sighed, gripping my arm. I look over at her, noticing a small amount of pink bubble gum stuck in her bleached blonde hair. Geez, that would suck. I'd gotten gum stuck in my hair before and it wasn't pretty.

Amanda wasn't the ugliest girl ever. She had big blue eyes to go along with her hair, though she wore an overabundance of makeup. Thick eyeliner covered her eyes, her eyebrows were drawn in, and her lips were a bright pink. Though I would be lying if I said she was unattractive, she still wasn't my or Paul's type.

"Yeah."

"Well, keep me updated." She smiled, releasing me and untying her apron. "You know where to find me."

"That I do." I told her with a smile. Luckily, that was enough for her, and she left soon afterwards.

Now that I was alone with my thoughts, I had time to ponder over how to see Cassie again. Maybe she'd make a stop by the cafe before the end of my shift? Though it wasn't much, the hope was enough to propel me through the boring workday, serving everyone from humorous elders to underdressed college girls.

But the one person I wanted to see never showed.

When I went to leave, I noticed that my phone was missing.

I probably just left it at home, I thought to myself, nodding to girl who was on the next shift as I left. She was generally new, and even though I'd seen her a few times, I'd failed to catch her name. I wasn't about to ask now, though. My thoughts were too clouded.

"Hey, Danny." Paul called almost immediately once I'd entered the apartment.

"Glad to see that you're awake." I remarked somewhat bitterly.

"Yuh huh." He obviously hadn't realized that he had made me late for work. No matter; I'd give him an earful later.

"Hey." He appeared in the hallway before me, a lopsided grin on his face. "Did you lose your phone?"

"Uh, yeah, why?"

"Some girl named Amanda's been calling me." Geez, the girl didn't know when to lay off. She'd probably snagged my phone just so that she could call Paul.

"Don't worry, dude." Paul said with a smile, patting me on the back. "I'll pick up your phone after my date tomorrow."

"Cool." I said simply, making my way to my room. I was over caring about his love life. Right now, all I wanted to do was sleep.

☆ ☆ ☆

(a/n)

Thanks again for reading~!

Don't forget to comment/vote/add this to your library~! I really would love to hear all of my reader's opinions :)

Also, check out my Luke Hemmings fanfic, "Not in Love," and stay tuned for my new story that I've been working on, a Calum fanfic called "Roomies."

~Stay Amazing~

xoxo, InsomniaWriting