☆ Chapter 11 ☆

"What the hell was that?" Whitney asked, storming into my room.

"I didn't feel well." I told her, batting my eyelashes as I took my coffee from her hand. I don't know why, but whenever I got defensive I would start batting my eyelashes and raising my eyebrows at people. Challengingly. If that even made any sense.

"Bull-oney." She claimed, sitting next to me on my bed. We sat there in silence, both too busy drinking our coffees to really make conversation.

"I texted him." Whitney said suddenly, passing me my phone. "That's why he showed. It wasn't his shift or anything. At least I don't think."

I merely groaned in response. Who was she to step over that boundary? It didn't matter if she was my best friend. My love life was my love life, and I wanted to keep it that way. No matter how nonexistent it may actually be.

"Quit being stubborn!" She exclaimed, sounded exasperated. "We both know you like him; what's holding you back?"

"He has a girlfriend." I muttered incoherently.

"Huh?"

"I said, 'he has a girlfriend.'"

She just laughed. "No he doesn't." She claimed, taking a sip of her coffee. "He totally likes you."

"That doesn't mean he doesn't have a girlfriend."

"Jeez, Cas. It's almost like you want him to be taken."

"I do not!" I sat up, giving her the evilest glare I could manage. Of course I wouldn't. Where was the logic in that? "It's like you said- I like him."

"So you admit it?" She smiled, taking out her phone. "Could you repeat that one more time so I have it recorded?"

"Ugh, you're impossible!" I rolled onto my side, bringing my pillow to my chest. Despite my claims, a thought kept nagging at me. Was she the impossible one, or was I?

"Well, at least I know that he doesn't have a girlfriend." I could feel the bed shift as she rolled onto her back. "He really doesn't."

"How can you be so sure?" I asked, my voice sounding soft.

"I just am. Why don't you ask him yourself?"

"That's a bit strange to bring up over the phone." Whitney perked up when I said that, hurriedly grabbing my arm and dragging me towards the door.

"Where are you taking me?"

"You said it was too much to ask over the phone, right?" I nodded in response. "Well, if we hurry, we might be able to catch him at the café."

That idea didn't seem half bad. Despite the fact that I would have to face him, at least all of this would be over with. If he had a girlfriend, fine. I'd just have to stay away from him. And if he didn't, then, well, this was all just one big misunderstanding.

I was warming up to the idea just as we reached the door. Right as Whitney went to open it, though, it opened from the other side, and in walked a tired-looking Tanden. His eyes were bloodshot and rimmed with red, his lips dry and chapped. Even his hair was all messy, as if running his hand through it was too much of an effort. It was a slightly darker brown than it usual, like he'd failed to wash it in a few days.

"Where the hell have you been?" He asked, pushing Whitney away from me. She fell on the floor, her mouth dropping open in some form of temporary shock.

"I asked you a question!" Tanden exclaimed, pushing me against the wall. Though it wasn't enough to hurt me, it sent my phone flying from its place in my hand.

"Tanden, are you drunk?" I asked him. His clothes look worn and wrinkled and his breath smelled of beer. I had seen him wasted before, but not like this.

"I believe that I asked my question first, sis." He said angrily, pushing my wrists up against the wall.

"I-I was at Whitney's." I told him truthfully.

"Bullshit! I just heard you talking about a boy!" He claimed, looking down. He licked his lips, making them look even more dry than before. "Now, I'm gonna ask you again. Where have you been?"

"I'm telling the truth!" I felt tears welling up in my eyes. At the moment, I felt about as safe around Tanden as I had Jason.

"Fine!" He yelled in my face, throwing me to the ground. Ouch. That was definitely going to bruise. "If you won't tell me where you were, I'll tell you where I've been!" Behind him, I could see that Whitney had snatched my phone and was typing furiously.

"First, I spent some time in front of the television, convincing myself that you would return at any moment, laughing about getting lost or some shit like you always do. Then, I called the police station, but guess what? Since you hadn't been missing for longer than twenty-four hours, you weren't technically missing. Plus, since you're technically an adult, they weren't going to do anything about it!

"Do you have any idea how that made me feel, Cassie?" He was full out bawling and screaming now. When I failed to answer, he proceeded to kick my leg. "Well, do you?"

"No!" I screamed, surprised by my own voice. It was accompanied by tears. I was so scared at that point that I found myself worrying for my life. He'd already kicked me; what was next?

"It was real..." He looked at his hands, searching for the right word. "Crappy, that's what it was!" Though I myself would've gone with a stronger adjective, I was in no particular position to judge at the moment.

"And I'm going to make you feel real crappy, too!" He exclaimed, kicking at me yet again. In the process, I managed to hit my head against the wall. Everything began to appear hazy. After a few minutes, there was a knock at the door.

"It's the police!" A voice yelled. "Open this door!"

I tried to crawl my way over to the door only to have my hand stepped on by Tanden. I screamed out in pain, causing the poundings on the door to increase in speed and volume.

"Don't you dare." Tanden said, staring me down. Luckily, he somehow managed to forget about Whitney. Either that or he thought he'd knocked her out. Out of the corner of my eye I could see her scramble to stand up, opening the door shakily.

Two men in police uniforms made their way into the apartment, followed by a worried-looking Danny. The officers proceeded to handcuff Tanden and lead him out of the room, presumably taking him to the nearest police station. Danny and Whitney kneeled over me, asking if I was okay.

I assured them I was, though we all knew I was lying. Danny carried me over to the couch while Whitney made her way into the kitchen to grab me a few ice packs.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." Danny assured me, pushing my hair out of my face. Although his words were meant to calm me, I couldn't help but feel upset by them. How could he know that things would end up okay? As far as we knew, I could have minor brain damage or something along those lines. Despite the fact that the possibility of one of these being a reality was slim to none, it wasn't necessarily ruled out.

Not to mention that I had probably just estranged myself from my brother. While I had other living relatives, including my parents, I had always been closest to him. He had always understood me and helped we when I needed it most, and I'd just had him sent to jail.

Would I be okay? Could anything be okay after the past events with Tanden and Jason?

"No, it won't be." I told him before drifting off to sleep.

☆ ☆ ☆

(a/n)

Well.

I suppose I'll just send every character in her life to jail. Cuz, like, why not? Just kidding. I don't even know what this is tbh.

Sorry for the late update 😅

Please vote and comment~! I loved reading all of your comments and reactions after last chapter and your votes made me want to keep writing :)

xoxo, InsomniaWriting