☆ Chapter 13 ☆

Dedicated to @MaggieTheEdge because her comments made me laugh cx

☆ ☆ ☆

I knew the moment that I woke up that it was going to be one of those days. The sort of days that left you with a headache and caused your throat to ache for the burning sensation of alcohol.

I'd had a lot of these days in the past. They usually ended in me being drunk, too, or in some sort of overly emotional state. That's probably why Tanden, being my brother and all, was always worried about me.

Tanden. His name stung in a strange sort of way, leaving my throat gasping for breath as I sat up suddenly. If I hadn't forgotten that I had been sleeping in someone's lap, perhaps I wouldn't have hit him in the chin with my head.

"Ow!" Danny shouted, grimacing as he held his face in pain. I looked at him, a worrisome feeling coming over me.

He looked into my my eyes, a smile cracking his mouth as he lowered his hand. "I'm fine." He breathed, looking into my eyes. "You just startled me."

"Yeah, well, I have that effect on people." I muttered, standing and walking towards the kitchen. I somehow knew his face held a shocked expression even without looking at him. The look had become familiar to me over the years.

"Are you okay?" Danny asked, following me as I went to the cupboard and grabbed a glass.

"Chipper." I said smugly, not wanting to indulge in conversation.

Don't get me wrong; I wasn't bipolar or anything. I wasn't masochistic, either. I'd just had depression since a young age and have since given up on trying to cheer myself up when I woke up in a state of anger or complete and utter sadness. Or, in this case, annoyance.

Whitney came into the room, helping herself to a cup of tea while rubbing her eyes sleepily. "Good morning." She yawned. I noticed that she was wearing my penguin pajamas and for some strange reason, I clenched my fists with anger.

"Ship overboard." I said, grabbing her shoulder and turning her towards me. Whitney's eyes widened as she remembered the code we had come up with in high school that meant it was one of those days.

"Shit." She muttered under her breath. "Want some tea?"

"Might help." I nearly growled, though in all honesty my willpower was completely gone. I didn't want to fight, I didn't want to be upset or bawl my eyes out like I probably would later. And I definitely didn't want to end up drunk in the apartment. Alone.

Whitney began to fix me a mug of tea while Danny just sat in the corner awkwardly.

One of the many reasons I dreaded these days was because of the sudden voice of ration that took over my mind. Doubts about Danny began to overwhelm me, though I never would have considered them on an average day.

He's probably using you.

You barely even know each other. I mean really, you just met the other day.

Why on earth would he ever like you, anyways?

He's just a stupid boy, after all. Probably just like every other guy you've ever liked. Every other guy that's broken your heart.

At that point, I was practically seething. Of course, Danny wasn't at fault, but my mind was blaming him for my current state. Because it wasn't Whitney's fault, and there's no way it could ever be my fault.

"You okay?" Danny's voice broke through my thoughts as a hand took hold of my arm. I sighed, massaging my temples in an attempt to calm myself down.

"Marvelous."

Danny tugged on my arm slightly, turning me towards him. Whitney stood a few feet behind him, watching our exchange with wide eyes. She knew it was a bad idea to attempt conversation with me when I was like this.

"Come on, Cassie." His eyes searched my own. "Though it's true that I haven't known you very long, I'd like to think I know you well enough to know you're upset. And I just want to help."

"Are you sure about that?" I snapped suddenly, my anger boiling over. "Like you said; we haven't known one another for very long. So what is it that you're after?"

Danny looked dumbfounded at my question. He was one of the most adorable guys I'd met, though now that I thought about it, it was probably just a part of his ploy. "I don't know." He shook his head, like he was confused. "I mean, I like you Cassie."

"Well, maybe that's the problem."

The words left a bad taste in my mouth. I knew they were untrue, and they were likely to hurt Danny and myself. Yet I couldn't keep my tongue from spitting them out like venom.

He didn't even say anything. Instead, he left me standing in my kitchen, my fists clenched and tears stinging my eyes. Whitney rushed over and caught me as I felt my knees collapsed.

"Call me if you go back to being yourself." Danny called, slamming the door in his wake.

The truth was, this was who I was. Though I'd tried to rid myself of these sudden mood swings with therapy sessions and medication, they always came back. They were getting progressively worse and harder to deal with.

I'd already run off several friends and family members, including one of my best friends from high school, Page. Whitney still hung out with her, though she tried to keep that fact away from me. It hurt knowing that no one could put up with me on my worst days, especially someone who'd been in my life as long as Page had.

I hadn't even known Danny that long, and I'd already scared him away. Maybe it was for the best. Maybe nothing else could have come out of this relationship.

Maybe it was never meant to be.

I think I needed a drink.

☆ ☆ ☆

(a/n)

Thanks for reading~ (runs and hides)

Questions: What do you think of Cassie and her sometimes dramatic change of character? Do her actions necessarily make her a bad person?

Do you think that they should still be together?

Dont't forget to vote and comment~!

~Stay amazing~

xoxo, InsomniaWriting